What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mantis source?

• Thread starter ilbasso
  • Start date
Does anybody know a reputable source for Praying Mantis?

I'm with Larry there, best selection & cheapest prices is when you deal direct with hobbyist / breeders on Mantidforum. There are retail sites but they are incredibly high priced, though a good source for pupae (fly cocoons) that you need to hatch & feed your Mantids.

My good friend Mike raises mantids and a variety of feeders, if you're interested shoot him an email at poisonbeauties@gmail.com and tell him I sent you.

I found a mantis egg sac or something at Home Depot a loooong while back.

March - May you can occasionally find ootheca (egg cases) of Chinese, European or Carolina mantids at HD, Lowes and other garden centers they're sold as "pest control" but most of the mantid babies likely get nabbed by hungry birds. Also, mantids don't eat aphids, thrips, scale or any of the normal plant pests you would want them for. mantids mostly eat bees, flies, moths, butterflies and the occasional hummingbird if they're large enough and the prey small enough. But none of those are really "plant pests" but uh "plant pollinators"... :lol:

Back