What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant of the Month July 2012

thez_yo

instigator
1. Only ONE (1) Plant per member may be entered in any particular month. This means one Nep vine, one Sarr Rhizome, one pygmy dew etc.
2. All pictures must be taken in the month of entry into the contest.
3. All entries must be clearly identified.
4. Entries are restricted to cultivated plants.
5. Contestants may post as many times and as many pictures of their entry as they like until contest closing on 07/30/12
6. Sequential pictures showing opening of a pitcher, unfurling of a leaf etc. are fine as long as all pictures are taken within the month of the contest.
7. If, for some reason, a single pitcher/plant/whatnot cannot be isolated and a group shot is necessary, then the particular pitcher/plant/whatnot entered must be clearly identified in your post.
8. Plant must have been grown by owner at least six months prior to photo, or sprouted from seed by the owner.
9. I didn't like this rule. You can keep entering the same thing month after month and if people still like it without getting sick of it, so be it.
10. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as EST.
11. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on 08/01/12, closing 08/05/12 and using the Condorcet Internet Voting Service (Beatpath/Schulze/CSSD completion rule). The THREE (3) most popular entries (according to "proportional representation") will be considered "Winners" and the top 3 places will be posted in http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?130887-Plant-of-the-Month-HALL-OF-FAME

** Please remember to clearly identify your entry!!**

Contest will be closed on July 31st 2012 at 5:00PM EST

Good Luck!

Is it okay if I just post a flower pic? :p The plant itself didn't even look all that great and I have it pretty much packed up to give away anyway.
7476288524_6cc7bd090e_b.jpg

Pic has the identity on the top right. . .

Edit*

I can get a pic of the plant if it is really needed. . .

And yes, I know I don't have much chance of winning with this. :lol:

Hmmm... maybe I should have held off until tomorrow morning, but... is it July 1st in your time zone yet? :p And I'm uh... I don't see why you wouldn't just post a flower? You might be giving yourself a disadvantage if you say, put up just one pitcher of a huge Nep vine with pitchers all over every leaf, but hey if you don't want to I don't see why not.

It's July 1st in my time zone now, yes. :p Even so, I don't think a day early matters too much.

True dat... but we've had people have squabbles about rules minutiae. So your confirmation helps avoid that, so thanks :)

OMG Devon, you cheating.

Getting us addicted to your orange/red veined Drosera flower before the competition has even started.

Unfair!!

Beautiful though. ;)

Here is a youngish neppie shot to start off the month of July, from a rooted basal:

Nepenthes hamata (Gunung Lamut) 2 July 2012
HAMATA712.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty nice IN YOUR FACE type of pic David. I dig it..

Oohhh those are sharp!

I love that peristome. Interesting how, when looking at a hamata pic, if you scroll up and down, the peristome looks like it's moving..

Amazing N. hamata. The species never ceases to amaze me.

@Dex: Hah! I've already been shown up!

D. lusitanicum

IMG_2514.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

Last edited:
thanka masta.. :hail:

@Travis: gorgeous photo!
No idea why this appeared twice.

Last edited:
meh'.. it's just okay.

007-12.jpg

007-12.jpg
D. occidentalis 'Australis'

This is probably very boring to most of you but I'd like to share my Miranda, it's still pretty rare in my country :) I don't know anyone else here with a pitchering plant, so I consider myself very lucky. It has adapted to my climate but I do take it inside during winter.

miranda01.jpg

It pitchers only in dark corners, I find that amazing. Sometimes it pushes the pitcher under the stool and inflates there in the dark. Pitchers growing in the shade are about two to three times the size of those in the sun.

These two are hiding behind,

miranda02.jpg

A recent one. I had to pull this one out from under a bucket, that's why it has a weird shape.

miranda03.jpg

Based on this Miranda, I am moving all my nepenthes gradually to the shade. I thought "the more sunlight, the better" but you learn something new every day...I guess the ideal condition is a balance between the shade and the sun.

Bumpity bump bump. And I guess I got the date wrong in rules - it's actually supposed to be 07/31 :ohno: so you still have today. Lets see those plants!

Back