What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tie Dyed model glider

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
A while ago I was given a nearly finished remote controlled sailplane. All I had left to do was install the electronics and cover it. Well, I was reading up about the old silk covering method, and thought I ought to give it a whirl. The only difference was that I tie dyed the silk.

The maiden flight was this past Wednesday, July 4th. We had the day off, so we invited the RC soaring club to come over and help me out. A couple guys helped me fly it, so that I could take some pictures and videos. I still need to get a bottom picture, but it shows well in the videos.

073.jpg

074.jpg

077.jpg

078.jpg

Launch:
076.jpg

Yep, that's me standing with the radio. The guy launching the plane for me is Rich. This shot is the first flight. The videos came on flight 2 and 3.

A short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5kSZZwQL0U&list=UUQ0m7cmqixaBamEMkmEeCKQ&index=5&feature=plcp

A longer video. Same first minute of the shorter video, with more footage added after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYREWq3OoQU&feature=relmfu

Haha wow that's really cool! Nice job

Here is a picture I took during an air show this weekend. It's the club's display. Up front are mostly mine: The tie dye Spirit Elite, the glossy purple Gentle Lady, the curve-winged white Radian, to your left, the one with the pop-up motor pod is my ASK-21, and the blue one in back with the swept wings is my Vengance 2.

008.jpg

088.jpg

Groovy! Looks like one of my shirts flying around up there! :awesome:

IIRC you were gonna tie dye a sailboat sail too, did you ever get around to that? I'd love to see it if you did!

I was, but hit a snag trying to find a sailmaker willing to work with canvas. Go figure. I did find one, but now it's a funding issue.

Here is a picture I took during an air show this weekend. It's the club's display. Up front are mostly mine: The tie dye Spirit Elite, the glossy purple Gentle Lady, the curve-winged white Radian, to your left, the one with the pop-up motor pod is my ASK-21, and the blue one in back with the swept wings is my Vengance 2.

008.jpg

088.jpg

Dude you have the awesomest hobbies XD

Groovy! Looks like one of my shirts flying around up there! :awesome:

IIRC you were gonna tie dye a sailboat sail too, did you ever get around to that? I'd love to see it if you did!

Hey, I was wondering if you ever play around with tie-dying socks? Cuz uh... I want some and the stores in socal don't seem to have any of the clothes I wanna wear and all of the clothes I don't wanna wear :lol:

It can be done. They need to be plain white cotton, with no stain guard.

That's not going to go missing anytime soon.

beautiful plane hope it flies as nice as it looks
i build one as a kid with silk and dope its a lot of work then my grandmother sat on it before I flow it, my mistake leaving it on the couch

beautiful plane hope it flies as nice as it looks
~snip~

Check out the videos to find out. ;)

This plane will probably float off a mouse fart. It is designed to rise in a thermal, just like the hawks and vultures do, without a motor. We had it in one good thermal on the third launch, but Bruce didn't stick around, he wanted to go fly his plane. I don't blame him, he has a NICE 4 meter carbon fiber ship. Whoosh!

But mine's still prettier. :awesome:

OMG, how did I miss this KT!?!? :headwall:
I LOVE how it looks like an atomic blast mushroom cloud in the center piece. And the wings a sky on fire..
That dye turned out SHWEET!!

Sweet plane, I love r/c! I'd put a small motor on just so when there aren't thermals, I could still be in the air flying. But you're probably a purest, I dunno.

Motor?!? Blasphemy!

Actually, I do have an electric assist glider. Google Radian, I have one.

Now you have something to match your bag!! :awesome:

Didn't know that many people were into planes. My dad got into model planes when he was like 10 years old and joined a flying club. Then he got his pilots license when he turned 16 or something, crazy young. Tried to get me into flying model planes. We have like two small, cheap practice ones and we also have a giant wooden one. I think we have a few medium ones too. All electric. I can't do anything with model planes lol, I crash. One time I crashed into a tree and the plane ripped apart from the wings and flew into a busy street haha. Haven't been flying in a loooong time. This is a good reminder to do something like this!!

I have a few planes, EDF jets, and helicopters.
Have looked at a few gliders, but they are still missing from my flying fleet.

Looks like you had a blast.

I did. :angel:

I ordered a mini HD keychain video cam, and it should arrive in about a week. More glider fun!

Hey, were you at the show in Wood-something? They had a bunch of nice planes.

Wood-something? I don't follow,sorry. This was the SCCMAS Tomcats air show in Morgan Hill. (Near Gilroy)

Didn't go to that one. Sorry.
My neighbor makes a bunch of planes and stuff. Retired with nothing to do but work on models.

Asid, are you in the Bay Area?

It ill be a very long time until I retire. I'll just enjoy the hobby when I'm not working. ;)

Back