What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gone! Just like Carmen Sandiego. :(

Recently, I visited the gulf coast to meet the boyfriends parents. He'd told me he'd find sundews and pitchers growing wild in almost every ditch when he was a little boy. I was pretty excited, I've (still) never seen a carnivorous plant in the wild. First nature stop was the national park on rented bikes. I was chatting with the fellow who delivered the bikes and he handed me a flyer for the park... it had a Sarracenia leucophylla on it and that fueled my excitement! I couldn't contain myself and spouted off a bit about some plants that he could care less about. His parting words were 'watch your fingers.' Ha. We rode around for hours and the scenery was incredible. We saw a nest of hatched alligator eggs, even a baby gator! No CPs anywhere to be seen, though! We even encountered signs describing the Sarracenia, Drosera, and Pinguicula to whoever might be interested. NONE were there. We were a bit discouraged, but the next day we decided to persist the old fashioned way. Running around the woods! Aside from mosquitos and ticks, we found nothing there either. I put some thought into it and was wondering if salt blown in by storms from the gulf could have been the culprits. Maybe we just didn't look in the right places? Oh well, I'll be back down that way soon and I'll continue the search. Thanks for reading all this about nothing in particular!

IMAG1573.jpg

braaaaaaaackish
IMAG1568.jpg

IMAG1565.jpg

eggies
IMAG1581.jpg

if you look closely you can see the teeny gator ^^

where was this? I'm guessing Florida, but its kinda hard to tell

Gulf Shores Alabama, like a hop and a skip away from Florida.

Same here... went to a Forest park looking for a bog of D. roundafolia yesterday but found nothing. Of course, the last written text was from 1978 of the bog and it really didn't explain where it was in the park. It's possible that the locations of the bog have moved over time as seedlings have spread or they were out grown. You may have to ask someone who has been there for a long time like a naturalist. The 20 year old workers at the reserve we went to didn't even know what sphagnum or bog meant!

Even if no cps those are some pretty nice shots. Here's hoping you will be much more successful in that regard next time.

Sorry it was so disappointing. It might have been salt, in a too much too fast way, that they couldn't adapt. Beautiful scenery, though.

Back