What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with plants obsession.

• Thread starter Maiden
  • Start date
Hello :)

You found yourself watering your plants at 4am ?

You have a "heliamphora rules" sticker on your car's bumpert?

Plants addiction, and indeed obsession is really a problem! Some ppl quit they day job for this.

You think you have a plants obsession?
Check this out: http://web.njit.edu/~hiltz/OInterest/garden/garden.html

Maiden

I can attest to being guilty of some of having some of those traits, but not all. For genre specific plant obsessed peeps like me I would add the following.

Feeling guilty when someone gives you a houseplant as a get well gift because even though it was thoughtful of them, you only give house space to carnivorous plants, indoor bonsai and orchids. You know you should be grateful but inside you're trying to figure out where to put the danged thing so as not to use up any of your precious growing space. :blush:
(I'm actually guilty of this..received five houseplants as get well gifts this month, including one from my husband,)

that was fun! I am definitely obsessed. I think I've got nearly every species of Sarracenia now and most varieties, but I havn't gotten down to forms yet... although I have been working on making my own hybrids for awhile now :D

I'm def obsessed, as I cancelled a week vacation that I've had plan because I don't trust anyone taking care of my plants o_0

I was relieved that my friends and I didn't go camping on Mt. Hood this weekend because I was worried that I wouldn't be able to fill the humidifier for a day.

Whenever I am away for a couple days I call one of my parents to check on the humidifier and lighting twice a day.

ALright, so I fit a number of these, but I'm not obsessed! I think intensely. :D

I've often though of making a magnet for my car that says "Rare Plants On Board" instead of "Baby On Board" so people will know why I'm taking turns more cautiously than usual.

Yep, the plants drink first before I do. I think its good to be obsessed, because when a mite infestation happened I noticed the bite marks only a few wee hours after they were left there. Also, its not like your addicted to things bad for you. :p You really do learn a lot as well!

nice thread :p did the discussion we had in chat yesterday spark this? hahaha

id rather buy the brand new plant releases than feed myself three solid meals a day!

id rather have no vacation year round just to know that my plants will be safe and continue flourishing. The thought of a one week vacation costing me a month or two in progress due to stress makes me shudder lol

id rather spend an afternoon elbow deep in soil mixes potting things up than relaxing on my hammock with a cold drink

I've had my girlfriend tell me to come back to bed when I woke up in the middle of the night to check the night-time drop. I've bought Distilled Water instead of shampoo that I needed. And before I had timers for everything, I wouldn't go out to college parties because it would mess with the photoperiod.

What really illuminates the addiction for me is when the stacks of flat rate boxes start piling up.

Or that I need to downsize my collection but I'm already thinking about what plants I would want to trade them for.

Or when I sit in front of the window and extract aphids or spider mites or what have you off with a broken guitar string or knife.

Or the fact that in the last three years I have easily spent more time on Terraforums than on any other website.

the way i see it is that the flatrate boxes i have piled up will one day be used to send off plants for trade :p i must have 30 of em broken down and stacked :0o:

The whole space under my bed is broken down flat rate boxes, ziplock bags and packing peanuts.

After reading some of these I now feel great about myself. LOL love this thread!

Love this thread :D So often I'll go outside with the mindset to water my plants for 5 minutes and then get back to work or back inside. Yet 2 hours later I'm still outside looking at my plants' new growth and past meals when I suddenly wonder why it's getting dark and what the heck I've been doing for the last 2 hours. :D Not sure if I'm the only one who does that but it happens almost every time I go outside at all now...

I am like that, but for aquariums.
I go to the store for groceries with my mom, and I saw, "Pleeeeease can I have some pickles?" and gesture to a 1 gallon jar which I think will make an excellent aquarium. (Now I am also thinking of terrariums)

Back