What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

These grow lists are huge!

Just wondering how does everybody seem to have mile long grow lists.
I look at a link in a member's sig, and see that it has about 50-100 plants (or more). Where do you put them all? How did you accumulate so many?

For me, its part hobby, part addiction. If one Nepenthes is good, surely 50+ must be better :awesome:

You'll find that after a long enough period, you may end up ruining future orders and such just because there's a new plant for slae on a different site. That's how a lot of our lists get so long.
Or we just spend every penny on plants all the time too. :D

Buy some plants, sow some seed, make friends and exchange plants, it won't be long before your list grows too.

My list can only consist of a few. My parents won't let me get a greenhouse.

easy answer is time and it doesn't take much either most of the members with tons of plants don't have the infrastructure to support them all once they multiply and if the plants are not particularly valuable they give them bc they cannot be sold or traded quickly. Otherwise the alternative would be to destroy them. In only a few months one can accumulate many plants for little cost. From what I have seen sarracenia are circulated the most by far so if you plan on buying them.....don't. Drosera are somewhat circulated but only the common varieties same with dionaea.

eventually you may get something that someone else wants and you can then trade.....if i were you i would trade up. i.e. circulated cultivar for non-circulated(given away) cultivar. If you plan on a large order to mitigate shipping charges ask around first but you are better off going through a vendor....if you just want 1 or 2 consider putting circulating into the community via trade.

umm only other knowledge I have acquired during my short tenure is get clones: they seem to grow alot faster and usually if someone goes through the trouble of cloning a plant reason would dictate that it is a nice specimen to begin with. You do sacrifice variety in the beginning but once your clone flowers you have the possibility for many seeds and unique plants.

My 'good' windows and balcony are full of plants because what else would I decorate with? At some point, you wake up and just realize you have a hundred plants... if they're all 3"ers you don't realize it too often cuz those guys don't take up too much room. You'll just hit problems when they grow up :lol:

There are a ton of generous people in this hobby too so at some point, you'll do a trade, and instead of the 3 plants you were expecting, you'll get 20 :lol:

Thx to the generous traders :hail: :0o:

^ especially with nepenthes.....at first you are like. "aww look at the little guy" then "have u see my cat?"

if you are space limited; stick with drosera and dionaea or whatever other breed is small....i don't know much about SA pitcher plants(heli's) but both american and asian(nepenthes) ones are really fast growers in addition they will take up alot of room.

Time. I started off with a few plants, divided those, traded them, produced seed, germinated seed, bought new plants, etc. When they all start off small you don't realize exactly how many you have until you write out a list.

Trades are a big part of a rapidly expanding collection.

I'm fortunate in having two separate locations... My greenhouse is about 5 miles away at my parents house and houses my nepenthes and some others, while all of my temperate plants are down here with me at my house growing where they get full sun for usually 10 hours a day or so.

Yeah I'm not "allowed" (dont have the space or money to spend) to have a greenhouse either. I have multiple terrariums though and I've made myself tons of backyard space :D Once you really get into it, there's no turning back! I only had about 20 until maybe a year ago, then I got really into CPs, and low and behold, in like 10 months my collection has grown to probably 200-some plants including seedlings. Agreed though, people's generosity really helps, as well as germinating your own sarrs. I have a ton of sarr, VFT, drosophyllum, and drosera seeds just ready to be planted!

Just when you think you have all you need, nice small manageable collection, someone posts a photo of something you cannot live without...again, and again, and again. Then you start making your own from seed or divisions, it never ends. There is no such thing as "my collection is complete." Don't worry, the years will fly by and someday you will have a list to rival all others. ;)

For me, its part hobby, part addiction. If one Nepenthes is good, surely 50+ must be better :awesome:

+1,000!

Just when you think you have all you need, nice small manageable collection, someone posts a photo of something you cannot live without...again, and again, and again. Then you start making your own from seed or divisions, it never ends. There is no such thing as "my collection is complete." Don't worry, the years will fly by and someday you will have a list to rival all others. ;)

That's about the size of it. And like Wireman said, it really doesn't look like a lot until you count them.

OT: Iwest: Hey neighbor! Nice "Grafitti" cauliflower!

Meep has understood. I will explain it to Asid.

OT: Iwest: Hey neighbor! Nice "Grafitti" cauliflower!

Hey neighbor, you're just south of me! Confession time, this isn't my graffiti cauliflower.... :blush: But thanks, it is a very nice picture and I love those purple cauliflowers!!

For me; I wish to collect and propagate enough specimens to one day play mad scientist and make my own devilish hybrids. At first I thought I only needed a few specimens....but then realized to make beautiful hybrids; one needs diverse and beautiful specimens. And so it begins...it will take a while to realize my goal so I trade and collect what I can for the moment to make me a better grower and be better prepared when the time does arrive.

My journey has only just begun.

For me; I wish to collect and propagate enough specimens to one day play mad scientist and make my own devilish hybrids. At first I thought I only needed a few specimens....but then realized to make beautiful hybrids; one needs diverse and beautiful specimens. And so it begins...it will take a while to realize my goal so I trade and collect what I can for the moment to make me a better grower and be better prepared when the time does arrive.

My journey has only just begun.

One of my favorite "mad scientist" things to do, back in the day, was take all the Sarracenia pollen, mix it together, then pollinate all the flowers with it. My own artificial "honeybee" mix. Now I prefer to plan it out ahead, and cross the pretty ones with the other pretty ones.

Hey neighbor, you're just south of me! Confession time, this isn't my graffiti cauliflower.... :blush: But thanks, it is a very nice picture and I love those purple cauliflowers!!

I grew some last year. One of my favorite parts are the little soft leaves that cover the head. I'd steam them with the flower, and fight with hubby over the leaves. Nom!

Speaking of growlists, I REALLY need to get out there and take stock again, and revamp my way-out-of-date growlist.

Back