What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vegetarian VFT or enjoying some bugs on a dew for dinner

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
IMG_3537.jpg

nows the part where the dew yells uncle ;) :p

Name it "Hannibal" ;)

:-)) I never expected that. I thought you were gonna feed it tofu or something. Bwaa ha ha ha! I imagine that the 'dew leaf will not survive the encounter. What I'd like to know is if the VFT had help. :suspect:

Heh. Housefly hish kebab! Pre-marinated.

:-)) I never expected that. I thought you were gonna feed it tofu or something. Bwaa ha ha ha! I imagine that the 'dew leaf will not survive the encounter. What I'd like to know is if the VFT had help. :suspect:

Heh. Housefly hish kebab! Pre-marinated.

If the VFT had help it wasn't from any human, canine or feline that lives here. I'm suspecting the wind as the most likely culprit.

Lol. But is it a vegetarian, seeing as it is eating a meat-eating plant?
What would that be considered?

Lol. But is it a vegetarian, seeing as it is eating a meat-eating plant?
What would that be considered?

The salad course?

I've been thinking of trying some lettuce on my flytraps.

The circle of life...

You should try feeding the plants beans they are supposed to be high in Nitrogen and on the same list is of course is meat and finally leafy greens all high in the things carnivorous plants strive for in their food.

I have tried beans, nuts, avocado, tofu, and coffee grounds. The grounds were not expected to net much reaction as they are low in protein, but everything else got a strong positive response.

I have tried beans, nuts, avocado, tofu, and coffee grounds. The grounds were not expected to net much reaction as they are low in protein, but everything else got a strong positive response.

I hadn't considered trying those things. Very interesting to know. :)

My VFT's have always had a strict diet of "If you catch it, you can eat it. If not, go hungry" But then they live outside year round so I never felt the need to hand feed them.

Just checked the plants this morning. The VFT's trap has reopned and the dew's leaf is free and seems none the worse for it's adventure.

That's great! My mom does not want me to feed bugs, so tofu looks like a great option!

whats wrong with feeding em bugs? :D

She thinks it's immoral. It is so unfair. :(
So I also can't get a mantis shrimp for my aquarium.

I did a whole short study on veggie sundews. I used to have pictures and a poster board display. Alas, I need to beef up a capensis or five and do a real experiment on them.

Last edited:
I did a whole short study on veggie sundews. I used to have pictures and a poster board display. Alas, I need to beef up a capensis or five and do a real experiment on them.

That sounds akin to my feeding my cat a purely soy and corn based diet fortified chemicaly with the nutrients a carnivour actually needs. Although a true wild carnivour also eats the "innards" of their prey and indirectly consumes veggie matter, albeit partially digested already. Since I hate dealing with live bugs my indoor plants enjoy dried worms and fish meal pellets and crumbles.

Back