What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curiosity has landed!

This is such good news!

We have a friend who worked on one of the gizmos on board. Here is a cute quote from an e-mail this morning: "Our 2.5 B$ RC toy is on the ground safe!" :awesome:

Yeah that was really tense and exciting! Good to see it made it there safe!

Good thing too. Don't think that a 2.5 billion dollar piece of machinery blowing up in the Martian atmosphere would go over very well. :-D

Hmmm, I wonder if they put in some coding to give the robot an instagram account, that would be cool...

Anyways, glad they landed and stuff, I'm sure there are some Canadian contributions onboard. But I'm also part American, so "AMERICA!!!!" :usa2: USA!USA!USA!

disgusting waste of money lol

dont worry, not like there are millions of starving mouths that could be fed with that ridiculous budget

ending rant before its starts

dont worry, not like there are millions of starving mouths that could be fed with that ridiculous budget

Nasa's budget for this was miniscule (2.5 billion) compared to the military's budget (1 trillion). In my opinion, curiosity is more important than expanding our military because curiosity will help us bring men to Mars. Why is bringing men to Mars important? Because we need to set up colonies on other planets to insure the continuation of the human race.

well....due to overpopulation, there will be even MORE starving mouths....so therefore, SEND HALF OUR POPULATION TO FARM MARS!

I will begin taking NASA completely seriously again, when we go back to the moon.

I will begin taking NASA completely seriously again, when we go back to the moon.

I think the next big mission is bringing people to Mars. They hope to do it by 2030.

it was all a fake done in a studio,lol
if you could find a way to send food to foreign countries with out the gov't , or warlords stealing it and selling it let us know

But, you know, the moon is right there, in the sky! I think we should go back and establish a station there, so we can study the impacts of living on a celestial body other than earth, before wasting astronauts on Mars.

Plus, when I'm a billionaire, I want to be able to say, "Well, I have this house, the one in LA, and a beach house, ON THE MOON!!!"

But, you know, the moon is right there, in the sky! I think we should go back and establish a station there, so we can study the impacts of living on a celestial body other than earth, before wasting astronauts on Mars.

Plus, when I'm a billionaire, I want to be able to say, "Well, I have this house, the one in LA, and a beach house, ON THE MOON!!!"

Well we need to increase NASA's budget to do that... 2.5 billion a year is nothing.

1 b2 cost more than that

dont say it as if i support the budget and spending of our military luca. its insane.... doesnt mean spending billions to take pictures of rocks and dust is any less crazy

i cant even respond to the others without flying into a rant. :p

dont say it as if i support the budget and spending of our military luca. its insane.... doesnt mean spending billions to take pictures of rocks and dust is any less crazy

i cant even respond to the others without flying into a rant. :p

Thats not the point of Curiosity though. It was sent to test the rocks of a nearby mountain to see if life could have existed in the past.

and this matters because?

all itd do is give a bunch of ppl pants tents that there was life anywhere beyond earth's atmosphere.

With this information we can see if life would be sustainable for future human exploration

and this matters because?

all itd do is give a bunch of ppl pants tents that there was life anywhere beyond earth's atmosphere.

Because discovering life on another planet would change the human race forever in ways we can hardly imagine. To discover whether or not we really are as unique as some would have us think, and all for a Paltry sum of a few coins. Do we have the right to stifle the path of the human race so some people can have a few more dollars?

"If we long to believe that the stars rise and set for us, that we are the reason there is a Universe, does science do us a disservice in deflating our conceits?" -Carl Sagan

Back