What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PLEASE HELP!!! Swamp Cooler!!!

Did you even read the reviews on the one you listed Pineapple??

Also the reservoir is 5.5 gallons.

What if the swamp cooler sits on the stand so that the vent in the back is level with the opening in your greenhouse? You may have to get rid of your back shelf, or just put it in front of the cooler. Maybe it's possible to take the stand off? And 31drew31 is right, I saw the one you mentioned, but the reviews are overwhelmingly negative. Is it possible to make the one I listed work?

If worse comes to worse you could always try and make your own ???. I had fun making mine, and although it was made to only cool a terrarium, you could easily make larger versions to sit next to your highlands.

Last edited:
1.8 stars out of 5, not exactly glowing reviews. I'd say that unit is the equivalent of flushing a couple hundred bucks down the loo.

Well what are some online stores you guys recommend looking at?

Pineapple... asking the same question six times isnt going to get you six different answers. Im sure if you spend some time looking through the internet you will find something. You have been given some options so look through those. You say your parents wont pay more than 275... well then you pay the extra 100 to get the one Paul suggested.

Can't have your hand held through every step of life..

I think Home Depot or Lowes are your best bet. Maybe you could duct air to the first one I suggested? But I think you should consider making your own one for your Nepenthes rack. At least for the rest of the summer. It can be really fun.

Last edited:
A lot of swamp coolers come with the motor separate, so getting it together is a bonus. It should be complete.... with on/off switches, cord and float looking at the manual but not a thermostat.
Andrew

A lot of swamp coolers come with the motor separate, so getting it together is a bonus. It should be complete.... with on/off switches, cord and float looking at the manual but not a thermostat.
Andrew

Well my last one didn't have a thermostat so IDC I guess. Sounds like it would be a good buy, but it will take $100 extra out of my money to pay for the swamp cooler and like $75 to build a freaking stand. I have nothing else to spend my money on, so IDC. :p

I thought you were just going to set it on bricks or something.

I thought you were just going to set it on bricks or something.

I don't have that many bricks. I want to put it up where the hole is where the swamp cooler was, so that's like... 4 feetish off the ground.

My parents won't let me get it because you have to hook it up to a drip system... So I'm still looking for one.

The one my parents have is a big one with a drip system - if you want a large one, expect to pay for it - unless you can find a used one on Craigslist. Motors and pumps go out regularly so expect to have to replace one or both.
My parents paid about $400 for theirs around 1990, so they aren't cheap but they obviously last a long time since they've had the same one for about 20-22 years. Kind of goes with the "you get what you pay for" idea. For what you are looking for, I'd look on kijiji (now ebay owned) or craigslist to find a used one.

Also, if you get a used with a drip system style you can always soak the pads with a garden hose, but the drip system lines and faucets aren't expensive and don't use a ton of water either, the only thing is you need to have somewhere to drain it (it hooks to a garden hose) that can stay pretty wet.

Last edited:
Well the reason I've been putting it off is because I can't find a single one that will fit my needs. I just want a box-shaped one with a fill-up on the front, an air intake OR a hose on the back to hook up to the outside air, a water tank that you fill up rather than hook up to a drip system, 1000CFM minimum. I CAN'T FIND A SINGLE ONE. NOT A SINGLE ONE. It is okay if the fill up is on the top, simple things like that I would work with if I could find one even CLOSE to what I want.

I'm ready to just give away all my plants and give up seriously. IDK what I would do with the greenhouse. Like OMG this is stressful and I don't want to deal with it.

I have only seen one box style one that had a fill up on the front of it like that, and my mom has it - it's ancient! From before I was born (so it's probably 30+ years old) - again, try Craigslist for a 2nd hand one. My mom used hers to keep rabbits cool in a trailer over the summer.
I'm going to call her tonight, I'll ask where she got it, if she remembers.

I have only seen one box style one that had a fill up on the front of it like that, and my mom has it - it's ancient! From before I was born (so it's probably 30+ years old) - again, try Craigslist for a 2nd hand one. My mom used hers to keep rabbits cool in a trailer over the summer.
I'm going to call her tonight, I'll ask where she got it, if she remembers.

Thanks... Let me know what she says.

I'll keep stabbing myself in the leg by trying to find a swamp cooler in the meantime. :censor:

You mwan the fresh water supply? I am confused by the term drip system... It is just 1/4" water line to a water supply... or a hose adapter. You dont HAVE to hook that up but id bet you will run out of water. An option to try would be a bucket or barrel higher than the cooler with a hose hooked to the bottom to gravity feed the cooler.

Last edited:
My mom said she got it second hand in Phoenix, before I was born...so, no help there, sorry.

Back