What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CITES question

I wanted to make sure I understand the CITES regulations correctly before I make a purchase I am thinking about doing. I am looking at buying some S. Oreophila "Sand Mountain" seeds from a grower in the czeck republic. I know that Oreos are on the CITES list and cannot be sold across state lines in the US. I assume that they are therefore prohibited from being sold internationally. Am I correct on this? Is there maybe an exception for cultivated clones, similar to the restrictions that were placed on Darlingtonias? I want to make sure this sale is on the up and up so if anyone can tell me with some authority I would appreciate it. I hope that people that just heard one way or the other will check their sources before posting so I know for sure.
Thanks for the help with this everyone!

Thank you everyone for the valuable info on this. Everyone confirmed what I thought about this sale, potentially shady.

Also curse spell check, I knew it was Czech Republic.

P. S.

Last edited:
The exporter should have a permit which is to be included with your shipment. This is to show the plants were cultivated.

You need a CITES permit. This costs $70.00 and is good for 2 years.

You also need a phytosanitary certificate from the exporter unless there are 50 or less seeds in which case you need the PPQ 587 Small Seed Lot permit. This is free but it can take up to 30 days to get the permits.

You have to send the exporter copies of your permits and a label that goes on your package.

All packages must be sent to an inspection center (not direct to you) and will be forwarded.

CITES plant material for most CITES listed species that has been propagated in tissue culture that is still sealed in the flask in sterile media does not require a CITES permit. A phytosanitary certificate is still required.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/cites_endangered_plants.shtml
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/faqs_cites_endangered_plants.shtml
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/plants_for_planting.shtml

Why buy from overseas when these are available in the US?

Last edited:
:offtopic: it's Czech Republic.

ICPS Seedbank usually has plenty of S. oreophila..... just got to be a member and pay a nominal fee for their trouble (2 or 3 bucks IIRC)

Havent checked, but seems like sand mountain seed were available last time I looked

You can get seed and help support ICPS :)

LMAO, "Check Republic!"

AND joining the ICPS is cheaper than buying the CITES permit, it's $35 for one year (or you can choose to sign up for more years) and you'll have access to the seedbank and all the other cool stuff on the site.

AND joining the ICPS is cheaper than buying the CITES permit, it's $35 for one year (or you can choose to sign up for more years) and you'll have access to the seedbank and all the other cool stuff on the site.

ICPS also sends you a permit along with s. oreophila saying you can grow it in the us but no where else.

Back