What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My botany teacher is giving me a chance to grow any plant I want.

Of course I want a really good carnivorous plant, but not something that will be impossible like D.Regia. This is important for it will be a both a grade but she is also willing to pay for it and wait a few weeks for shipping!
It will be grown in a greenhouse. The temperature will be 70-80s. The humidity will be 60+. It will be a Nepenthes.

Last edited:
How about some Cephalotus? Kind of expensive but not that hard to grow bugs notwithstanding of course.

I don't think that will fly considering the green house is attacked by bugs all the time.

Spider mite waves D:

Probably can't fail with D. capensis :-D

It might be impressive to show how to actually grow a venus flytrap. Almost everyone has killed one or two. Maybe a big large-trap form.

Really? I seem to be succeeding somehow.

I would advise picking something hardy, and not terribly expensive. Teachers don't get much pay. ;) Just sayin'. It is awesome to be given a chance at getting almost anything, congrats! But it would be terribly disappointing to loose the plant due to pests, greenhouse malfunction, or careless or malicious hands. Perhaps a fancy Sarracenia, one that you don't already have, or Nepenthes. (You don't like Neps? Shucks! Missing out!) How about Utricularia longifolia, Drosera indica (wild, wild plant), hmmm...... a Mexican Pinguicula, Darlingtonia californica mountain form.....

i agree with the darlingtonia idea. maybe grow it in a table top fountain so the water is always moving?

Maybe a pygmy sundew spcies. You might be able to go from plant to seed and back to plants.

Yeah, actually, my pygmy-dews go from 40*F - 100*F and just go dormant at various really cold/hot times. The hardiest I'd say are scorpioides, roseana, closely followed by helodes and omissa x pulchella. Another might include lasiantha, but I don't feel like I've had it long enough (and hence tortured it as much as the others) to really say. They're really easy to propagate and grow too - you'll be finding scorpioides and roseana growing as volunteers everywhere after having had them once.

Go with a fun Utricularia, reniformis, calycifida, etc.

I would have definitely gone with Nepenthes Miranda. definitely because of the wow factor for the average individual. It is hardy, makes impressive-sized pitchers, and not too expensive. With your knowledge, it would be easy to keep and keep looking great = easy A.

Hmmm, a pymgy sundew does sound tempting... Ultrics are kinda boring on the surface unless I can find a large clear pot.

Go with a nepenthes, something easy but impressive. Miranda sounds good.

Go with a nepenthes, something easy but impressive. Miranda sounds good.
I mean I guess I could, but can't grow them at home so they'll die at the end of school.

How about some Cephalotus? Kind of expensive but not that hard to grow bugs notwithstanding of course.
im thinking cephs too :-Dand you have a 200.00 price limit you should be able to get a nice ceph for much less than that, i find them pretty easy to .
what about the bugs? :-( do you have some invasive bugs that will attack cephs.
they are compact and very dramatic, great for a class project.

How about Aldrovanda vesiculosa?

Just curious... Why can't you grow Neps at home?

Back