What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My botany teacher is giving me a chance to grow any plant I want.

Many interesting neps can be grown successfully without lots of space or fancy environmental control.

Yeah, I don't think Aldrovanda will work anymore.

I think the N. miranda is a solid choice. What are the conditions in the greenhouse?

This is important for it will be a both a grade but she is also willing to pay for it and wait a few weeks for shipping!
What are the criteria for a grade & how long until you're evaluated for the grade?

I would recommend something that few people have seen & has a bit of a 'wow' factor. Cephs are obviously 'cool' but quite slow-growing - as are many Neps.

Without knowing the answers to the questions above, I'd recommend a floriforous / robust Utric like the white form of U. sandersonii. The constant stream of beautiful flowers will impress and you can work on getting microscope pics of the bladders to help your grade. Another plant that could be impressive is S. psittacina. When it goes dormant, do a longitudinal cross section of a pitcher showing the lobster-pot trapping mechanism (& windows) with the backward-point hairs (definite "A" material).

In your climate, don't consider Darlingtonia -- yikes!

What are the criteria for a grade & how long until you're evaluated for the grade?

I would recommend something that few people have seen & has a bit of a 'wow' factor. Cephs are obviously 'cool' but quite slow-growing - as are many Neps.

Without knowing the answers to the questions above, I'd recommend a floriforous / robust Utric like the white form of U. sandersonii. The constant stream of beautiful flowers will impress and you can work on getting microscope pics of the bladders to help your grade. Another plant that could be impressive is S. psittacina. When it goes dormant, do a longitudinal cross section of a pitcher showing the lobster-pot trapping mechanism (& windows) with the backward-point hairs (definite "A" material).

In your climate, don't consider Darlingtonia -- yikes!

Its a plant for the entire school year. The greenhouse can hold tropica,l temperate, "outdoors", desert, and has lights. It also has this miniroom that can change temperatures much more extreme. A material is really having a plant that survives nicely, I also need to keep journal entries.

Utricularia nelumbifolia has nice big umbrella leaves and has huge purple blooms & nice big traps, if you do consider nelumbifolia.

Utricularia nelumbifolia has nice big umbrella leaves and has huge purple blooms & nice big traps, if you do consider nelumbifolia.
That sounds like one I could go for.

Wee with any sundew, you could show leaf cutting and how they grow into new plants. You could also show how leaves curl over their prey, maybe make a picture chart of some sort showing when the fly landed on the plant and when the sundew unfurled and the fly was dead.

Maybe a Capensis "Giant" or Wide leaf?

Wee with any sundew, you could show leaf cutting and how they grow into new plants. You could also show how leaves curl over their prey, maybe make a picture chart of some sort showing when the fly landed on the plant and when the sundew unfurled and the fly was dead.

Maybe a Capensis "Giant" or Wide leaf?
Sundews are 2easy.

Ya, personally I think that a large sundew could have tons of potential tests and cool observations. Plus, they definitely have sufficient wow factor. When I showed my clump of D. indica to people at a summer camp I worked at, they were blown away. I had left them outside for a few days, and they had tons of flies stuck all over them. D. indica would be cool to have, as it's fast growing, strong, and very aromatic, but you can't really do the leaf cuttings brinkerh420 made the great point of.

Ya, personally I think that a large sundew could have tons of potential tests and cool observations. Plus, they definitely have sufficient wow factor. When I showed my clump of D. indica to people at a summer camp I worked at, they were blown away. I had left them outside for a few days, and they had tons of flies stuck all over them. D. indica would be cool to have, as it's fast growing, strong, and very aromatic, but you can't really do the leaf cuttings brinkerh420 made the great point of.
I currently have D. Indica

:>

What about a D. regia?

What about a D. regia?

D.regia is just a ticking time bomb for the first 2 years. It's just waiting for you to fall behind before it explodes, so i'll pass.

I beg you to reconsider, but how about a south african dew? a nice red capensis could also be eye-catching

I beg you to reconsider, but how about a south african dew? a nice red capensis could also be eye-catching

A cold front killed my South African ones :#

Capensis apparently died from sand.

Isn't your teacher buying these for you? I'm sure a capensis under lights in a greenhouse would do fine. But if you don't like that idea, I think you could return to the N. miranda. Maybe a raff or bical? I'm growing an ampullaria in a terrarium with only a window to heat and light it, and it's doing fine. A large Lowland nep would be sure to please. Or maybe U. gibba? It's incredibly easy to care for and displays it's traps well.

Isn't your teacher buying these for you? I'm sure a capensis under lights in a greenhouse would do fine. But if you don't like that idea, I think you could return to the N. miranda. Maybe a raff or bical? I'm growing an ampullaria in a terrarium with only a window to heat and light it, and it's doing fine. A large Lowland nep would be sure to please. Or maybe U. gibba? It's incredibly easy to care for and displays it's traps well.

Yes she is, but I agreed with that I wouldn't grow anything that I already have great experience in.

I'd go with capensis. All it needs is a peat soil and it'll do fine. Mine has survived two winters by putting out off shoots from the dead-looking stem. Tough lil' buggers. If there's spider mites in the GH then I would certainly avoid choosing Nepenthes.

No Capensis.

But does anyone think I can grow a Heliamphora in a greenhouse. I can get a take and I already own a humidifier...

If not, then ill just go with a ultric i guess.

Back