What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My botany teacher is giving me a chance to grow any plant I want.

I have till Wednesday to figure this out.

But does anyone think I can grow a Heliamphora in a greenhouse.
In a greenhouse - sure. In a greenhouse in Georgia - no way (unless it has some very good cooling equipment).

I can get a take and I already own a humidifier...
I'm not familiar with a "take" in regards to growing obligate HL plants? :scratch:

In a greenhouse - sure. In a greenhouse in Georgia - no way (unless it has some very good cooling equipment).

I'm not familiar with a "take" in regards to growing obligate HL plants? :scratch:
Tank*

Lol

So my teacher said the greenhouse can go down to 70 degress. My humidifier has a cold setting and can be timed. Would this still work?

I am clearly not typing straight on these forums.

Looks like you guys win!

Nepenthes miranda vs Nepenthes Ventricosa

Which one?

My ventricosa has survived with 70 degree nights for a few months. Doesn't look incredible, though. The 70 degree temps may suit a LL nep better. For good looks, I would go with a Miranda. However, I have never grown it and cannot say how hardy it is.

My ventricosa has survived with 70 degree nights for a few months. Doesn't look incredible, though. The 70 degree temps may suit a LL nep better. For good looks, I would go with a Miranda. However, I have never grown it and cannot say how hardy it is.
Any other suggestions?

Well I think those two are nice choices. But an easy, inexpensive lowland is ampullaria.

I would go for miranda. I think it grows more vigorously, takes warmer temps a little better, and for your time frame would probably end up in a more impressive plant.

Any number of lowland plants would do great. They would do even better provided they have high-ish humidity. Again, N. 'miranda' would probably do great, but ampularia, rafflesiana, and bicalcarata also come to mind... Bicalcarata would really need the high humidity to thrive though. The others are more addaptable.

Alright, since the greenhouse gets more on the hot side, I think ventricosa will be better. Now dis soil thing is what I gotta figure out.

Wait, what? If it's hot shouldn't you get a lowland?

Ok, I think a greenhouse that is consistently in the upper 80s during the day and 70s at night and humd would be good for either a raffelsiana or an ampullaria. if it turns out it isn' that hot or humid all the time, you can just bring in a tank to concentrate the heat and a humidifier.

Ok, I think a greenhouse that is consistently in the upper 80s during the day and 70s at night and humd would be good for either a raffelsiana or an ampullaria. if it turns out it isn' that hot or humid all the time, you can just bring in a tank to concentrate the heat and a humidifier.
ok...

N. 'miranda' would have done well under those perimeters.... any particular reason why its being ruled out?

N. 'miranda' would have done well under those perimeters.... any particular reason why its being ruled out?

I don't like how it looks.

But I'll add it back to the list.

Anyone other suggestions?

I'm running low on time.

Well, if there really are no spider mites (of the deadly kind) in the GH, then Miranda would do just fine for you. I find that it is a very resilient plant that can grow in Highland and Lowland conditions with out the need for high humidity.

Back