What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yesterday I received in the mail my first Nepenthes seeds. I got three forms of N. ampullaria (Red with green peristome, Hot Lips, and Red with dark spots), N. nigra Dark, N. nigra green (Probably tentaculata), and N. inermis. Here are some photos:
N. ampullaria red with dark spots
8146018563_1eaf68bf10.jpg
[/url]
after cleaning out the pods
8146017593_f2a25f92fa.jpg
[/url]

N. ampullaria Hot Lips
8146020219_fabccb1f66.jpg
[/url]
8146050112_700a608003.jpg
[/url]

N. ampullaria Red with green lips
8146021877_866b0fc62d.jpg
[/url]
8146021031_235d147d5c.jpg
[/url]

All the nep seeds after organizing
8146016925_fab473e8ec.jpg
[/url]

After Sowing :)
8146014365_d7e2869258.jpg
[/url]

I don't have pics of the nigra seeds yet I'll take those tonight.

Hope they work out for you! My nigra seeds never did sprout, but I had good luck with some of the others.

I hope you got your seeds from one of the reputable collectors. One of the high profile merchants sells seed that is often too old to germinate or has been stored refrigerated, and germination is either minimal or non-existent.

I assume I got them from a reputable source ??? I dont know how to tell if they're reputable or not. I asked around to see who people have gotten seeds from and this was the guy most people recommended.

I really like your plants. I would like to see them when they grow :)

Yeah wut up w/that...they don't seem to be moving at all...:slap:

Lol good work, and great plants!

A long awaited, at least by dizio and shortbus, update on my neps. This is just going to be pure species neps in my Wardian Case.

Let's start with the ampullaria
N. ampullaria 'Lime Twist'

IMG_3950 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
Note that the pitcher in the back has an entirely red peristome and the front pitcher has the "lime" peristome

IMG_3952 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. ampullaria 'Bronze Nabire'

IMG_3956 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3955 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3954 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. ampullaria Brunei Red x Harlequin

IMG_3957 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3959 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. ampullaria 'Harlequin'

IMG_3961 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. ampullaria Brunei Green, looking kinda red...

IMG_4032 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_4034 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. ampullaria Brunei Red Speckled

IMG_4035 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_4036 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

My biggest amp, N. ampullaria Cyclops Mts. IT'S FUZZY and bronze when it

IMG_3962 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3964 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3965 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3966 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
I count 4 basals right now, possibly more to come!

IMG_3967 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. ampullaria Tricolor, (Green to Bronzey-Orange Peristome with red and orange spotting)

IMG_3971 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3970 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
This particular pitcher is the oldest living one on the plant

IMG_3975 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
This is one of the newest

IMG_3977 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
This is what it looks like as it inflates... It retains the fuzzyness and note the spotting on the tendril

IMG_3978 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

My big ol' pot o' mirabilis, which includes N. mirabilis Trang, N. mirabilis 'Pink Thai', N. mirabilis var. echinostoma Typical, and N. mirabilis var. echinostoma Purple

IMG_4013 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
'Pink Thai'

IMG_4006 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. mirabilis var. globosa

IMG_4015 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_4016 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. khasiana

IMG_4014 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

My smallest Nep, I've had it for over 6 months and it has only put out like 2 new leaves...N. distillatoria Pink

IMG_4020 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
That's a typical piece of perlite just underneath it for scale...

IMG_4022 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. alba, that's right I grow it as a lowlander

IMG_4023 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_4024 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_4025 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. bellii

IMG_4026 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_4027 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_4028 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. albomarginata Red Gunung Jerai

IMG_4029 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_4031 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. thai, got it at the ICPS conference, hasn't pitchered for me yet...

IMG_4037 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Neither has my N. glabrata, but considering it's growing in lowland conditions I'm not surprised...

IMG_4009 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. maxima (formerly eyemae)

IMG_3998 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3999 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_4001 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Probably my favorite Nepenthes I've got right now... N. ventricosa Variegated :laaa:

IMG_3989 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3991 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3992 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
The first pitcher it produced in my care

IMG_3990 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

That's it for tonight, I'll try and post another update tomorrow!

Where did you get the variegated? :O

A friend of a friend that met me at the ICPS conference, jealous?

Beautiful LLs! I really like the picture of the inflating amp pitcher. And that IS a nice variegated vent, cool find! Are all the pitchers lidless like that one is that trait unique to that one pitcher?

that's the first one it's produced but it's working on another, I kind of hope it is lidless just another cool thing about an already cool plant

Hey, the Harlequin is still alive! N. khasiana likes you a lot more than it liked me.

I think I'll need to come to you and Myles for my lowlander fixation. You definitely have a knack for them.

Very interesting that you're growing N. alba as a lowlander and it looks as healthy as it does. Mine hasn't budged an inch since I got it a year ago. I'll try sticking it in the lowland tank, I suppose.

I've only had it a little over 6 months and it has put out at least four new leaves, every one has a pitcher on it too. I just gave it a coffee treatment for the first time yesterday, I'm hoping for a good leaf size increase.

Ampy heaven!! So you just grow everything hot then? I swear everything I saw was supremely LL 'cept for one.

That being said... those poor harlequin and glabrata :ohno: .. have you sprayed that glab for bugs? That growth tip looks like it could use some neem imo..

Just a little history on the Tricolor/Harlequin terms. Tricolor is the old term for Harlequin. Rob originally called his red amps that had darker red speckles Tricolor. Even though they were red with darker red spots, no red amp is totally red and some flecks of green still come through, particularly where the tendril attaches and along the front where the wings attach, hence three colors. A few years later he did away with tricolor and began using the term harlequin to describe these same plants.

The harlequin I just got from Wireman and the glabrata was a back of the shelf save from the vendor that had all the growlights at the ICPS conference, however it has white pitchers :laaa: and I just sprayed everything because I had aphids. So if there was something on it there isn't anymore, hopefully it'll start looking better soon and once it adapts pitchering those gorgeous little white pitchers.

I did not know that Tony thanks for the history :) This one was grow from seed by Nepguy, and personally I see a difference between the Harlequins and the true Tricolor ampullaria. I believe there are only two listed as registered cultivars now (I could be wrong) of Harlequin, and neither look like this one, at least from what I have seen in photos. Then again, you've been growing much longer than I have and know much more than I on these subjects so please continue to correct me if I am mislabeling or anything like that. I like to have all my plants properly labeled! :D

the magic variability of seedlings...

I would be interested to hear what your actual growing parameters are considering your range of plants. I didn't happen to come across what your day and night temperatures were, light levels etc.

The whole tricolor/harlequin terminology is somewhat nebulous anyway. They are not some written scientific description and deffinition so I guess are open to interpretation. I have seen alot of plants which I would call just speckled green clones labelled as tricolor because they have that mix of lighter and darker red speckling. Very pretty but not sure if I would term them tricolor based on Robs' original usage. I think he switched to the harlequin term because it turns out that the red pitchered plants can also get those two tone red speckles as well and give a very mottled colorful .. harlequin... appearance. The base color though I would still consider to be red, not green.

Not sure there are any officially registered cultivars? I haven't paid that much attention to what's been published or not regarding cultivars. I think 'Lime Twist' is the only one harlequin form that could be. Or at least has been selected at this point.

Hmm well I guess for posterity purposes this is what was being called tricolor back in 2002
Namp_BETricCR.jpg

Here is a group shot of young N. ampullaria harlequin x harlequin from 2009. Essentially the same thing. The pitcher coloration is a little light due to the younger plant age.
PLPic_NampHarlequinWRXHar.jpg

oh and just for comparisons sake.. N. amp. Lime Twist.. young plant
PLPic_NampLimeTwist.jpg

The Harlequen is healthy, I swear. I had to cut all of the pitchers off to encourage it to root, and they were decent sized pitchers from a basal rosette. That's why the leaves are so small.

Back