What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last time I checked my parameters, my daytime temps were around 82-88 depending on whether the fan was blowing or not and night time temps were between 72 and 78. Humidity during the day is at a minimum 75% and thats when the fan is blowing. Usually you can't see inside because it is so foggy. I have a 4" fan that blows once every hour and a half for about 5 minutes just to provide some air circulation. I can see the argument for the Harlequin amps also being tricolored, but the way I see it there are four different basic forms of ampullaria, Pitchers with a single base color such as green, red, or black for the majority of the pitcher (there could be more colors those are the only ones I have seen so far), pitchers with a base color with spotting or splotching of a similar or different color (these are probably the most variable, I've seen green, red, black, orange, and bronze bases with different colored splotches), pitchers with a base color but with mostly single tone spots but sometimes with two tones spots (I would say the harlequins are in this category), and true Tricolor ampullaria which appear to have more of a consistent pattern of a minimum of three colors such as the one I have. I don't think the base of the pitcher where it connects to the tendril and where the wings attach to the main pitcher body should be included when considering coloration patterns of ampullaria. I'm sure there are exceptions to these categories and by stating this I bet people will post photos of these exceptions, which I fully welcome. However, for now this is how I see it. I would also like to note that peristome color is highly variable within each of these four categories and can be one solid color or striped. I also distinguish different forms by whether they retain their pubescence after opening the pitcher or not. Based off of all of these variables I believe if one was to break all of this information down into taxonomic terms I think there are four varieties based on my four categories, and two forms one for plants that retain their pubescence and one for plants that do not. Peristome color is too variable and inconsistent to be used as a qualifier for taxonomic terms imho. These are just my thoughts on the matter, I have no scientific research or even field experience with N. ampullaria to be making these claims for taxonomic differences, but as a horticulturist I'm saying I could see these differentiations making sense at a taxonomic level.

Here are all the hybrids from my Wardian Case :)

N. x 'Singapore Gardentech' (ventricosa x ampullaria)

IMG_3984 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3985 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. ventricosa x truncata or truncata x ventricosa I don't know...

IMG_4008 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_4007 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. thorelii x truncata

IMG_3993 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3994 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3997 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
I really love the colors on this hybrid

IMG_3995 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3996 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. truncata x veitchii I don't know which cross this was but I think it is a beautiful plant, unfortunately I broke off the most recent tendril and the pitcher that opened before that got a fungal infection on the peristome

IMG_4002 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
You can see the infection pretty well in this pic

IMG_4004 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. xchelsonii

IMG_3981 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3982 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
abberant mutant pitcher

IMG_3983 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. x'Dwarf Peacock', I chopped the mother plant into a bunch of cuttings and this was the growth point cutting

IMG_3988 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_3986 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. kampotiana x (khasiana x alata)

IMG_4018 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
I really love the stem and midvein coloration on this hybrid

IMG_4019 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_4017 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Unknown hybrid that I traded somebody in Hawaii for, i don't remember who...

IMG_3968 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. "Meteor" (maxima x clipeata)

IMG_3960 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

An overall view of the right side

IMG_4038 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
the right side but closer to the middle, the huge leaf is from N. x dyeriana

IMG_4039 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
the overall left side

IMG_4040 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
The whole right

IMG_4041 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
The whole left

IMG_4042 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

The only plants I did not really photograph were N. lowii x campy, N. ramispina, N. xdyeriana, and an unknown hybrid that is probably an alata/maxima of some sort. I've got like one or two more updates before I'm done but I'll wait until tonight to post that.

N. 'Meteor' is going to be a beauty.

Every time I see neps like this, I am becoming nep super hungry and wish I had a tropical greenhouse or a terrarium of that size to grow neps! :)

Nice growing Mason!

Great pics and growing! You def got the low landers down.

Very nice Mason! I am enjoying the fruits of your labor immensly!

Now for the nepenthes that aren't in my wardian case.

My monster N. truncata

IMG_4049 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. “Song of Melancholy”

IMG_4044 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. ‘Tiger’ x unknown (possibly mirabilis)

IMG_4045 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_4046 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. mirabilis x ‘Tiger’

IMG_4047 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. alata Boschiana Mimic

IMG_4052 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_4053 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. “Fredder” (splendiana x tentaculata)

IMG_4050 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_4051 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. xsplendiana x (xtiveyi x veitchii)

IMG_4054 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. eyemae x (jacquelineae x izumiae)

IMG_4055 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

IMG_4057 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. veitchii (from Luca)

IMG_4061 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

N. ‘viking’ x truncata

IMG_4062 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

The ‘Tiger’ hybrids with “Song of Melancholy” in between

IMG_4048 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

The lower section of my window. I’m going to make a rack to hang all of these from soon

IMG_4060 by mcmcnair, on Flickr

The whole thing at night

IMG_4063 by mcmcnair, on Flickr
and during the day
A8YQM.jpg

This is my final update for awhile for this thread, or at least until something changes in my setup or I get new plants or a really nice pitcher opens. Thanks guys!

Your giant truncata makes me want a truncata. Is truncata a slow grower or fast grower in your climate?

well it was pretty fast when it was in my wardian case, but i just moved it out into my living room and it has come to a screeching halt.

N. truncata is usually pretty slow just because it's so big. The larger species tend to be the slow ones, and the smaller ones are usually the sprinters. N. 'Tiger' x ? has a lot of basals...... What have you sent me?!

Amazing hybrids!! Get ready, before you know it that tiger hybrid will have 30 basals and will look 30 years old as well lol.

It had like 8-10 growth points when I got it, but I chopped it up for a giveaway. I guess I'll probably be doing another come spring when I have the 30 basals grown out lol

Radar was unusually still....

Very nice work with the amp seeds.

Good luck with the amps! I had only one red w/green peristome seedling sprout, but a bunch from an all green plant, maybe we'll both get lucky.

hooray!!! the army is coming

Back