What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! My camera died and I have no idea where to start

• Thread starter mcmcnair
  • Start date
So I had a Canon Rebel XT and it died a few months ago and i've been using my iphone camera ever since. I really want to get a relatively cheap point and shoot with good macro. Anyone have some good suggestions I'm thinking about $200 maximum and I'm partial to Canons but I'll use anything at this point.

i havn't tried that yet, but i took my Canon Rebel XT into a local camera shop and they diagnosed it as a failing motherboard... they said its typical of that model camera after about 3 years of use and it costs more to replace it than buying another used camera of the same model so there's no point. I was lucky to have it last 5 years though. When I get around to it I'll try the laser lens thing.

Go with a CSC if you can. They have the lens interchangability and compact size.

The main reason I was going for a point and hoot was because I'm practically broke and I can't afford anything more than like $200

Are you opposed to refurbished cameras? The reason that I ask is because Canon offers a loyalty program. Basically you send them in your broken (yes, it must be broken) Canon camera and they give you a 20% discount or so on a refurbished camera. They pay for you to ship your broken camera in. I did it earlier this year, I sent in a broken Canon film camera. They will take point and shoots and D/SLRS. It might be worth calling them to see what point and shoots they are offering right now. Canon keeps it on the down low, but it does exist. There is no official Canon website for it. Basically just call Canon Tech Support and state you have a broken Canon camera and ask about the Loyalty Program.

Here's a thread about it:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/849344/

Crystal

+1 I love my refurb Canon,

When i got it, i used some software to check the "odometer" , shutter button had only been activated 60ish times (64 iirc)

Interesting I may have to try this. Thanks guys!

Back