What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Of Blackbacks and Barnacles

Since it is taking a while for me to upload the rest of the ICPS pics (there are lots, and I'm busy with driving school for next few days) I figured I would give a bit of a tide-over till then. I was gonna post this anyways, but I'll just post it now!

So, after ICPS, my family and I headed down through Salem, towards Maine. Took some photos, as usual.

Only good photo I got in Salem. Will have to wait to see how the film develops...

DSC_0230.jpg

One of those silly little birds trying to avoid my camera, in Kennybunk:

DSC_0313.jpg

Another, chillin with the weed(s)

DSC_0342.jpg

Nice saltgrass, with a tree:

DSC_0360.jpg

After that, went for a stroll in the Rachel Carson Wildlife Area (or something like that, can't remember if it was national or state, I believe it was national)

Found some of those fancy orchids, the ones that are white:

DSC_0426.jpg

DSC_0432.jpg

Also, totally classic mushroom!

DSC_0429.jpg

And some Sphagnum, it was to dark for Drosera or otherwise:

DSC_0427.jpg

Back to the beach, for a nice bit of recreating, mostly. I saw some Blackback gulls off in the distance, and trudged across the tidal flats in order to get to em:

Really enjoyed this lunar type landscape:

DSC_0433.jpg

Right down and dirty with the saltgrass:

DSC_0434.jpg

Barnacles, first ones I've seen in the wild! It was a big deal for me :-))

DSC_0437.jpg

Crab, looked tasty:

DSC_0457.jpg

Fancy sand:

DSC_0453.jpg

When I finally got to the blackbacks, they flew away:

DSC_0498.jpg

Then I went to the ocean and looked at these:

DSC_0535.jpg

The rest of these beach photos have no particular chronology:

DSC_0574.jpg

DSC_0592.jpg

DSC_0579.jpg

DSC_0571.jpg

DSC_0588.jpg

Now, one of my hobbies when I'm in the car, is to take photos out the window (not while driving)

These are in Vermont and NY:

DSC_0596.jpg

DSC_0658.jpg

DSC_0657.jpg

We went by an area with TONS of Windmills, they were very interesting looking:

DSC_0642.jpg

DSC_0634.jpg

Anyways, I'll have the ICPS photos up soon, hopefully. This was just to take a break from all the CP pics!

Thanks for looking!

Great pics! Just fyi, the white orchid is actually Monotropa uniflora, a parasitic fungus like plant.

Peat, these are great!

Yea, I gotta say they are fantastic plants. They pop up randomly after rainfall, not unlike mushrooms.

I must grow them!!!!!

its impossible :lol: you cant touch em because they turn black if you do so and die really quickly anyway.

It's possible to grow them, just very difficult. Common name for them are Indian Pipes though. If you want to grow them you pretty much have to dig out a foot wide and 6-12" deep hole around them and then just pot that up and pray they come back

They need to associate with tree roots, so you'd need to pot up the tree, too. ;)

*Digs up all of New England, and sticks it in a pot*

some very nice pics peat!

classic images mate

Oooh very nice pictures, especially the boat ones. Just something so serene about a picture with a boat peacefully sitting in the placid water.

Great photos man. Felt like I was right there with you. Love the harbor pics.. Makes me want to head up to Mackinaw.
And that dark LFS spot looks perfect for one drosera in particular. I could totally see D. schizandra going nuts in there.

Thanks!

Thez, I do agree, there is something about boats...

Nice Pics PeatM.,
I just got back home myself.
Wish we could have spent more time talking....
Had the car been bigger it would have been nice to have had you with on some of the excursions we took.

Seems you had good time as it was...
Did all your acqusitions make it?
Let me know!

Bear crossing...huh!

Thanks!

Yep! All the plants made it back fine! I've got them all growing by now!

Back