What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alaskan Cruise

• Thread starter uphwiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    tri

uphwiz

jimmy
ill be leaviing for a 7 day cruise from seatle to alaska through the inside passage etc.
i havent ever been on a plane or a ship , no fear of water But
anyone have any advise on how to over come my grand fear of flying? :blush:
i only have 9 more days to prepare Doc. says no nerve or relaxie pills.:nono:
guess ill have to drink myself silly at 5 am.
And does any one know any cp sites in alaska? Were only going as far as juneau.
stopping in canada , ketchikan, sitka, i think were going to see a glacier in glacier bay national park.
and were also doing a kayak tour, somewhere, I didnt book the tri, so im not sure where were doing that, it is rain or shine
hope for clear skies, but ill go even if the kayak sinks , i like kayaking , only done it a few times though.

I used to have a terrible fear of flying. Think about how many planes fly every single day, I think its about 2 million. Then think about how many trips are done every year since it is 2 million a day. You are more likely to win the lottery than die in a plane crash. Also, a plane crash almost never happens from just one issue, it is almost always multiple issues stacked on each other. I have been on flights where the brakes failed, engine malfunctioned, etc. My father was in a flight where a quarter of the wing fell off and then he made me, proof that he didnt die in that misshape :p. I hope this helps

Don't panic. The scariest part is taking off and landing. Turbulence can be a bit tricky. But it is just like being on the back of a bus or on a subway.

Could you take sleeping pills? Many people pop a pill and fall asleep before taking off and wake up upon landing.

Flying is only scary if there is heavy turbulence or if something goes wrong which almost never happens.

As far as CP's go, it's not hard to find D. rotundifolia (at the very least) in Ketchikan and probably elsewhere. It just would take a different mindset than the one that most cruise ship passengers are carrying. For instance they will drop you off in port and you will have been given a pamphlet that has coupons and little maps that are supposed to funnel you into the trinket shops and the jewelry stores. If you want to see CP's you would have to probably rent a car (which is doable) and drive a little ways out of town. There are numerous bogs and muskegs that are all over the area, it's just a matter of knowing how to get there and not being afraid of a total lack of trails or what-have-you. If were still living there I would have gladly taken you on a little tour to the mode densely populated Carnivore bogs.

Look on google Earth and look for bogs, if you think you can hike to them, you will almost certainly be rewarded with D. rotundifolia, if nothing else.

here are a few pics from my trip these are from the inside passage tracy arm. we hadnt made the first port yet this was day two from seattle. ill add some more later from the rest of the trip.
IMG_0103_zps92dabcaf.jpg
IMG_0089_zps72f82d53.jpg
IMG_0124_zpsb56866a0.jpg
IMG_0125_zpsa454c776.jpg
IMG_0153_zps440e9cc7.jpg
IMG_0152_zps5d690862.jpg

Last edited:
WOW! now that's cool. The glaciers look so blue!

here is day three mendenhall glacier juenau alaska, they kept warning us about the mother bear and her two cubs but we didnt see them. this was very beautiful the water fall to the right was breathtaking wish i could still load video ill try later.
IMG_0200_zps4159d4f8.jpg
IMG_0224_zps3f5baf65.jpg
IMG_0244_zpscae8a319.jpg
IMG_0237_zps42dba395.jpg
IMG_0238_zpscfaea22a.jpg
IMG_0243_zps84619c82.jpg
IMG_0236_zps2e98de04.jpg
IMG_0250_zpseaa2972d.jpg

Nice! Looks very cold. Would love to live there. :-D

would love to see wild Eagles one day.

Back