What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some help getting back into the swing of things!

kath

Katherine
So, I've decided to start collecting again. Yay!
However, it's been a long time since I was growing carnivores. Well, a year or two. And while I used to be fairly knowledgable on the basics, now that I'm gearing up to invest in some new plants, I'm starting to panic about all of the things I might have forgotten over the intervening time. I'm afraid of overlooking something, or forgetting something obvious. Eeek!!!

So, with the proviso in mind that I'm re-starting with some basic sundews, and not a horrendously complicated Nepenthes, lol, does anyone want to help me out by suggesting some basic (but easily overlooked) tips or details that will jog my memory. Could be anything. I'm just a bit stuck on where to begin!

Light, water, and media are the very basics, followed by temperature, humidity, and air circulation. I would invest in decent fluorescent lighting, coupled with northern (?) exposure sunlight, with purified water, and a variety of media: LFS, peat, sand, and perlite.

Don't let anything that can decompose get too wet for too long. If you sight mold, act quickly and decisively. kill it with fire. Sunlight is nice. Miracle-Gro isn't. You sound competent. Go get um.

Thanks guys. Yeah, water, light, humidity, media, temperature. That gives me a good starting point to go research and get my foot in the door. :) And thanks for reminding me about mold etc. - it's easy to forget that things don't always go to plan. It's starting to come back to me a bit, hopefully things go well :)

I'm also thinking that the folks on the New Zealand CP group, from Facebook (Ross Graham, Richard Davion, Don Gray, Simon Eyre, Andrew Broome, etc....) can help you out with plants, seeds, and gemmae. Ross is the one that invited me to the group.

Back