What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hopeful Hybrids

I've been thinking about hybridizing plants, and was just wondering: If you could make any hybrid in any genus, what would it be? It doesn't even have to be possible, I'd love to see a burmannii crossed with a capensis! But for ones that are, your opinions may spark some ideas for those whose plants that are in bloom.

well if we get to be totally unrealistic, D. capensis x scorpiodes. Big long stem with alien arms. If i had to take it seriously though, N. venticosa x (talangensis x bongso). looks cool, but i'd imagine i'd have about as much luck getting my hands on the genetic material as i would hybridizing a capensis and scorpiodes...

N. ampullaria x vogeliiI would lol at. I would also lol at N. ([edwardsiana x hamata] x villosa)... One more I would lol at is N. inermis x aristolochioides.

N. ampullaria x vogeliiI would lol at. I would also lol at N. ([edwardsiana x hamata] x villosa)... One more I would lol at is N. inermis x aristolochioides.

N. inermis and N. aristolochioides grow sympatrically so there is a good chance it exists. Maybe some inermis seedlings will turn out to be that.

hamata x veitchii HL
Some flare.. with teeth.

I would love to see a cross between all the toothy neps like you mentioned Pineapple. I'd also like to see a rafflesiana x bicalcarata, but one that retained the bical's fangs.

Okay, you said it didn't have to be remotely possible...
so here goes...
Cross a Villosa with a VFT,
for a Nep with sharp teeth & a biting action!
Or perhaps a VFT with a Hamata,
for a VFT with a little more "sharp toothy-fang" to it!
...and lastly,
a nice Sundew with a VFT,
for a dew with a bit more "rapid grasping action"!

Well, you asked!

Splendid combinations! First one to think outside the restraints of genuses, so I present you with an A+ :-D

I like the cross group Drosera idea. A pygmy dew by D. cistiflora would be interesting.

N. mirabilis var. echinostoma x N. edwardsiana

I want an ampullaria by bicalcarata with upward pointing fangs

Oh man that would be so awesome

N. Truncata x Edwardsiana sounds cool. Hopefully i'll still be alive when this hybrid is created...

N.northiana x rajah.....big, tubby, colorful, and hopfully intermediate.

I think a D. madagascariensis x prolifera would be cool. Just prolifera leaves on a massive clambering stalk.

Butterwort x Venus Flytrap hehehehehehheheh.......

but seriously, i want a bical x hamata. i can just imagine hamatas peristome spikes continuing onto the bical fangs( which are an outgrowth of the peristome) giving them a serrated look! AWESOME!

on the less deadly-looking end of the nep scale, i want a khasiana x jaquelinae. easy to grow, with an exotic funnel shape. alata x jaquelinae might be easier to make, and look quite simmilar.

i still want a khasi x jaq though... its just one of those hybrid ideas that you just randomly dream up one day, and they just float around in your head forever 'till ya get one. and if its impossible, then it just stays in your head forever. anyone else on here ever had an idea like that? (i actually have far too many to post, but i will post several more in additional posts, after a couple others have had there turn, to avoid one post that is just a GIANT WALL OF TEXT(like this one!), or a QUADRUPLE POST!:-)))

same with this other hybrid, just dreamed it up, wanted one ever since. Ping. lutea x laueana, which is probably impossible. i imagine it with slightly pinkish leaves, and a beautiful bearded orange flower. perhaps someone can someday find a way to make a similar looking hybrid? (it still wouldnt be the same to me, though. i just randomly thought of this hybrid one day, and i have wanted it to be a reality ever since)

Butterwort x Venus Flytrap hehehehehehheheh.......

but seriously, i want a bical x hamata. i can just imagine hamatas peristome spikes continuing onto the bical fangs( which are an outgrowth of the peristome) giving them a serrated look! AWESOME!

on the less deadly-looking end of the nep scale, i want a khasiana x jaquelinae. easy to grow, with an exotic funnel shape. alata x jaquelinae might be easier to make, and look quite simmilar.

i still want a khasi x jaq though... its just one of those hybrid ideas that you just randomly dream up one day, and they just float around in your head forever 'till ya get one. and if its impossible, then it just stays in your head forever. anyone else on here ever had an idea like that? (i actually have far too many to post, but i will post several more in additional posts, after a couple others have had there turn, to avoid one post that is just a GIANT WALL OF TEXT(like this one!), or a QUADRUPLE POST!:-)))

same with this other hybrid, just dreamed it up, wanted one ever since. Ping. lutea x laueana, which is probably impossible. i imagine it with slightly pinkish leaves, and a beautiful bearded orange flower. perhaps someone can someday find a way to make a similar looking hybrid? (it still wouldnt be the same to me, though. i just randomly thought of this hybrid one day, and i have wanted it to be a reality ever since)

Well, we have a female khasiana at Meadowview, so if we could get jac. pollen we could make it happen.

I know what you mean about the ideas that stick in your head. I'm determined to make N. lavicola x northiana happen.

It's that time again eh... haha I think I've made this thread twice. But I still condone this thread. :)

Anyway to contribute, look at my signature!

I love sib hybrids so my dream hybrid would probably be sib x rajah. Another would be sib x villosa! :D

Back