What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you manage to keep the sphagnum moss alive outside? I thought it dries out easily under the hot sun. Or is that prevented by having a water tray underneath?

How do you manage to keep the sphagnum moss alive outside? I thought it dries out easily under the hot sun. Or is that prevented by having a water tray underneath?

some of the top can dry out on days that are very hot and dry, but daily top-watering and sitting in a tray keep it moist enough most of the time. it took a full two years to get it to this point. The first summer it was kind of difficult to maintain a wet growing environment, but it has become much easier as the mass of live sphagnum is pretty deep and holds quite a bit of water. I've even been able to harvest about a gallon of sphagnum from the pot this last year.

have you ever tried growing cephalotus outside?

i did once. It went okay for a few months but i let it dry out too much and it croaked.

Damn I was excited to see this thread being updated with new pics.

UPDATE TIME!!!:banana2:

Klossii

Edwardsiana SG

Diatas finally looking decent

A couple tentaculata uppers nestled among U reniformis

Cephalotus vigorous clumping settled in

Wow, you're right. The lids stay domed. Your plant looks like it's producing larger, or at least thicker, pitchers than mine, so it could be a case of maturity.

Healthy update, Pablo. Healthy, healthy.

Wow, that eddy! Klossii is really cool too, I wonder what an aristo x klossii hybrid would look like?

U quelchii

repotting N singalana and was surprised at the size of the woody tap root!

Wow that is a monster root!! You could fry that thing up and eat it.

Pablo, please fry that thing up and send it to Dex for his morning tea.

By the way, my klossii finally produced a domed lid. I was accused more than once of manually inverting them to show off the opening (there's no money in that money shot).

Last edited:
Everything looks great Pablo. The root on my N.singalana looked the same way when I repotted it last year. It's one of the BE clones, forget if it was the Belirang or Tujuh plant.

Wow! Your klossii and edwardsiana got BIG! What are you feeding them?

What are you feeding them?

Blondes (in a bad Schwarzenegger impression).

Johnny- this one is from BE too. belirang, i think

Thanks for sharing those pictures with us. One of my favorite colors is the color of N. lowii lower pitchers... that rich deep maroonish color. It's gorgeous, which I was just reminded of looking at your first picture. I've been out of the loop for a while, so this is probably a stupid question... is the designation on your N. edwardsiana ("mico eddy") your own pet name, or is it particular selling name (i.e., "hairy hamata").

xvart.

ha ha. i was just trying to describe how small it was. like many of wistuba's plants, it came in tiny, smaller than a dime. it's just now hardly bigger than a quarter. i got an ephippiata about a year and a half ago that has not grown in size at all. still dime sized. i've gotten some really nice plants from wistuba and the prices are decent, but sometimes i wonder if it's worth it when they're practically seedling sized.

ha ha. i was just trying to describe how small it was. like many of wistuba's plants, it came in tiny, smaller than a dime. it's just now hardly bigger than a quarter. i got an ephippiata about a year and a half ago that has not grown in size at all. still dime sized. i've gotten some really nice plants from wistuba and the prices are decent, but sometimes i wonder if it's worth it when they're practically seedling sized.
Heh. I figured that was the case, but with nomenclature sadly being what it is these days and my lack of paying attention to recent offerings, I thought maybe, just maybe it was a "variety". I understand your feelings, but just think years from now when it is producing mature pitchers the satisfaction you will have. Growing from seedling size flies in the face of instant gratification!

xvart.

Wow, that quelchii looks so hot.. I hear the taxonomist who named that one was getting loaded while perusing Urban Dictionary.

Let's see an update, General Bolivar. Distribute the wealth.

aha, I see what you did there... I wanted that U. quelchii division, well done, sir. ;)

I'm on board the update train as well . . .

Man, your Utricularia are gorgeous, I'm jealous of your skills

Back