What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
I'm up rather late (or super early now), and I spotted an unanswered question in the chat box by CPBobby about light windows. Here is a quick grab off my mobile Photobucket, showing a Sarracenia leucophylla x minor cross. Both of these species have light windows, AKA fenestrations, as do S. psittacina, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus and of course all the various amusing Sarracenia hybrids.

The windows supposedly do a couple things, more or less of each depending on the plant species. They let light into the darker recesses of the pitcher, making it a little more welcoming, they also give the false illusion of an escape route, where a confused insect may try to fly through, only to hit the wall and fall into the pitcher. I believe that the light windows also attract prey, being bright and visible. Someday I'd like to try and take pictures with in the UV band, and see if there are invisible-to-us markings. Flowers have them, why not CPs?

062-5.jpg

Back