What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shade cloth value of insect screen?

I'm finding this question surprisingly difficult to Google answers for. If regular old insect screen were shade cloth, what would be its shade value? I know someone in Florida with one of those ubiquitous screened porches (even the "roof" is screen) and I'm wondering how a nepenthes would do in there. If it's on par with full sun then it may not work out, but if it's comparable to 30-50% shade cloth then the plant should be fine.

I think it's value for shading is almost negligable. I don't know, but can't imagine it providing any more than 20-30% shade. However, many Nepenthes actually grow in full sun in the wild and are very addaptable. One grower in Sand diego exclusively grows highland Nepenthes outside in full sun and they do beautifully (see www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com). Of course, in florida your friend would need to be growing lowlanders, or maybe intermediates.

Plants previously grown in lower light conditions, and with no UV light, would need an acclimation period though, of course...

Back