What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spanish Moss

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
I ordered two bunches of Spanish Moss from a vendor back in December and it hasn't grown a single bit, but it flowered during the summer. It is the thick variation of the species, not the thin. It is definitely alive, kinda greenish-gray... I really like the look it adds to my greenhouse and I want it to grow so I can decorate with it, but it just won't grow at all! My humidity has been 90% at night and anywhere between 50-60% at the hottest part of the day, and now it is 70% at lowest during the day with my new swamp cooler. I used to mist it and fertilize it, but I stopped months ago after no apparent growth. It is in my highland greenhouse growing with my neps, so it gets natural sunlight.

What can I do to make it grow? Also, is the packaged Spanish Moss that they sell at Home Depot or Lowes living, or is it dried? It looks the greenish-gray that living Spanish Moss does. ???

TIA! :blush:

EDIT: Nights between 50-60F, days between 70-80F.

Niemand? :poke:

Somebody has to grow this stuff, or at least know if the packaged stuff is living... :p

Try caring for it like a common tillandsia, I mean try submerging all of it in clean, not tap water for one whole night until morning for one day of each week as a watering schedule. Tillandsia relatives(including Spanish moss and bromeliads) usually grow painfully slow. If it does not grow PERIOD, sorry, you have a dead clump of Spanish moss...

I've heard people put moss in a blender with buttermilk and gel to paint it onto a surface, and it lives off the milk's nutrients.

I've heard people put moss in a blender with buttermilk and gel to paint it onto a surface, and it lives off the milk's nutrients.

Spanish moss is a terrible name for this plant. It's a Tillandsia and not your common moss.

Sorry, I didn't realize.

I collected a lot of Spanish moss off my property in Louisiana. Even offered it as a giveaway here but oddly there wasn't any takers.
Mine has been growing well. I keep it in the corners of my growing areas. Slightly in the shade and where it more moist.

Pine think about where it grows naturally, heavily shaded understories of trees, full sun is just gonna fry it. But I think your humidity is good and I would use JMN's watering schedule that seems like a good idea.

The greenhouse is under 50% shade cloth and only gets a bit of direct sun every day. Humidity stays like 60% at lowest during the day and maybe 90% at night. I'll try submerging it in distilled for one night a week and see if that works.

Is the Spanish Moss they sell in bags at Home Depot living? Can I buy some of that to hang around the greenhouse and grow? It looks greenish, not the dead brown color.

Is the Spanish Moss they sell in bags at Home Depot living? Can I buy some of that to hang around the greenhouse and grow? It looks greenish, not the dead brown color.

No. Its just a decorative material to dress up hanging baskets. It has probably been "cooked" to sterilize it.

No. Its just a decorative material to dress up hanging baskets. It has probably been "cooked" to sterilize it.

Awww! :(

Maybe I'll order some on eBay for Christmas. :p

Back