What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cool Little CP

• Thread starter elgecko
  • Start date

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I know some other members on here mess around with R/C planes and helis, so I thought I'd share this.

Quick video, I mean quick, and watch closely. My first flips with a CP heli.

Still getting use to how very responsive this little heli is. In fact the first flip is very slow because I forgot to turn my rates back up when performing 3D maneuvers.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dGICQE4tbkY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nicely done man! Impressive little bugger! :p
Andrew

Thanks. I need a lot of practice....

Here's a video showing what it's capable of in a skilled pilot.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/njyfhg5G8BI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If I tried flying like they do towards the end of this video... my heli would be in the drink....

Last edited:
That's a cool rc heli,but I'll stick with my rc rock crawler.Is it hard to fly or just takes time to get used to the controls?

Those were some insane maneuvers!

That's a cool rc heli,but I'll stick with my rc rock crawler.Is it hard to fly or just takes time to get used to the controls?
I’ve looked at the Losi 1/24 4WD Short Course Truck a few times, may get one at some point to mess with occasionally. If anyone has one they want to trade for plants….

For the controls, I’ve been flying fixed pitch, 45 degree fly-bar helis. The new ones I’ve been getting are Collective Pitch fly-barless helis.
45 degree Fly-bar helis self stable themselves. Flying forward and letting off the stick, the heli will return to a hover. They are also less sensitive to your inputs.
The fly-barless helis do not return to a hover when you let off the stick. It keeps traveling in the last inputted position. All inputs need a counter input to cancel out the first. So it takes more input to have the heli hover. They are extremely sensitive to your inputs.
The other difference is the Nano is a 3D performance heli. The controls are so touchy compared to the other helis I’ve been flying. It’s like going from a fully loaded school bus, to a quick and nimble race car.

I think I"ll stick to planes for a while. I watch the guys flying the helis, and I am impressed as all heck. You go, guys! :bigthumpup::rookwoot:

cool85k5, I would recommend that you start with something simple, like a Cub. Get used to flying that around, and flying it sideways and towards yourself, and then move on to faster and more maneuverable planes. Once you find yourself working with the really fast 3D stuff, then you will be ready for a heli. Again, start slow, and you won't crash too much.

A good flight simulator can save you a lot of money in crashed virtual planes. However, do not be tempted to do all of your learning on the simulator. They are good, but not that good. Nothing beats live stick time. ;)

Updated video: 10/21/2012

Still crappy video. Unfortunately the wind dies down as the suns about to set. Need a nice calm day I can make a video when it's bright out so that you can see more then a silhouette of the helicopter.
Uploaded this video because of better control of the helicopter.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sRDR_QCQong?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Last edited:
I like how it disappears into the sky.

Thanks for the link, looks like yours is only 50 bucks more and seems to have a better following and more parts available. I'm just... not sure if I can make that leap. My most "maneuverable" helicopter I have is a megatech housefly (which is big and I SUCK at it... want it? LOL) but just as maneuverable but smaller and I fly it much better is the Novus CX (I guess it's a heli-max too). Any idea how difficult of a switch from Novus CX (two rotor with flybar) to something like yours would be? My other "thinking about" was a quad rotor http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/heli-max/hmxe0834_e.html not sure it'd keep my interest though since it seems to fly similar to my CX.

Andrew

Going from a coaxial to fixed pitch with a flybar is a jump. Coaxial to flybarless FP, a bigger jump. Coaxial to collective pitch, flybar or not, I would not recommend it..... Not saying it can't be done. You would just have take small slow steps to progress.

Flying flybarless, you have to counter act every input. Move the helicopter forward, let off the stick, the helicopter will still travel forward till you give it opposite input to stop the forward motion.
With a flybar heli once you let off the sticks, the heli will correct itself to a stable hover.

My first FP heli was the Blade mSR. Great heli, I would highly recommend this for indoor flight, or windless outdoors.
http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=BLH3000

Do not be tempted to get the mSRX, flybarless version. It has some bugs in it that make it difficult to learn to fly.

Then I went to the Blade 120SR. Larger heli for flying outdoors in light wind. Again another heli I would recommend. This might be the best choice. Nice size and able to fly outdoors easier.
http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=BLH3100

After having those heli's and flying them for a while is when I decided to make the jump to flybarless collective pitch helis. I will not go back. LOL

Here's what I have currently and my thoughts on them. (Smallest to largest)

I have 1 Blade Nano CPX which is a complete blast to fly and very tough when it comes to crashing. Of course every crash is different and I've always been lucky to let it down easy when I crash......
The cyclic controls are extremely responsive, to the point of twitchy. (Here is where a good computer radio makes all the difference.)
This heli holds its tail extremely well while inverting and pumping the pitch.
The main brushed motors in them suck big time. Some people only get 25 flights or so before they burn out. Mines been grounded after 75 or so flights. I cannot get a motor for it, there back-ordered. Hopefully they pulled all the junk motors and are making better quality ones.

I have 2 Blade mCP X. One is a ver1 and one is a ver2. I really cannot say one flies any better than the other.
I really enjoy flying these as well. Again very tough when it comes to crashing.
The cyclic controls are not as responsive as the Nano, you feel in better control, more forgiving....
This heli has tail issues. When inverting smoothly there is no problems. If you're not smooth or pumping the pitch hard, the tail can, blow out. This can be reduced with a good computer radio to change the pitch angle so you do not bog the head down so much causing the tail to lose hold. Another thing that helps tremendously with the blow out, Blade released a new tail assembly that is longer than the one that comes on the heli. This makes a big difference.
I saw a day or 2 ago they have re-released this heli with a brushless main and tail motor.....

Last helis that get air time is 2 Blade 130X.
These can be a love hate relationship.
Not sure how they do in crashes, been fortunate enough to never crash one. I also have not been brave enough to invert these helis either which has saved them from crashes.
They have lots of power from a brushless main motor, which runs the shaft-driven, variable-pitch tail.
They require lots of tweaking to fly properly, but when they do, these by far are my favorite helis I have.

Here's a picture of most of my collective pitch helis. I do have a 450 size heli that was supposed to be a last years winter project to get my gyro set up. Never happened.... neither did the 2 planes that need built in the garage....

Nano CPx (center front) / mCP X (outsides in the front) / 130X (back row)
CPs-1_zpsa7361307.jpg

Well, my birthday passed at the end of July and just now my parents stopped by a Blade mSR.. It is charging and I hope to get to try it soon, thanks for the recommended steps above elgecko! Can't wait to give this thing a shot. :)
Andrew

From what I remember reading on that heli, it's a good one.

Haven't been out too much this year with my R/C stuff. Been itching to get out and fly though.....whitewater kayaking too much. LOL
Last weekend ran my first class IV water.

Thanks Ron.
I wanted to do the Lower Yough earlier this year.
The club was having a first timers down the Yough, so there would have been lots of support, but my wife's sister was in from CA. I was not able to go.

Stonycreek River was the one I paddled last Saturday and Sunday. It was a blast and will be heading back soon.
http://www.thestonycreek.com/rapids.shtml

My dry top and dry pants came today so I'm ready year round now.

Want to plan a Pine Barren Trip yet this year?

How about a little video of some surfing and goofing off. (Friend in green/black boat)

Last edited:
Dang, that looks kinda rough... Nice work! Cool too that you're now set up for year round. :D

I flew it for about half a battery worth, had to have it on easy to start it was kinda touchy. On easy it was totally maneuverable but if it catches a drift of AC it's gone... Not enough control to bring it in... So I'll have to move up quickly. :D But seems like an alright little thing. My co-axil maneuvers about the same on hard so I should be able to get it...
Andrew

Back