What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent visit to a local grower's Geinhouse

• Thread starter DJ57
  • Start date
Nicely done, DJ! Thanks for sharing your photos :)

Paul

Great plants, better beards :lol:

Gosh, that sphag is the proof that I need to listen to Paul much more than I do. Nicest grown Neps I've seen ever... The sphag is too amazing though. How does he keep it wet if it is hanging like 8" over the side of the pot? :drool:

I especially like the sarracenia.

Great photos DJ, and very nice greenhouse Paul.

place looks amazing. a CP mecca..
The cephs really do look fantastic.

Fantastic! thanks for sharing

Epic stuff.. Im super sad I couldnt make it. :(

Gosh, that sphag is the proof that I need to listen to Paul much more than I do. Nicest grown Neps I've seen ever...

Gosh, ya think maybe, just maybe I know what I'm doing? :0o: LOL

How does he keep it wet if it is hanging like 8" over the side of the pot?

By keeping it moist, of course! Seriously, it's about maintaing ideal humidity during the daylight hours, plus a generous misting of the moss a couple times a day. Nothing more to it than that. I take my greenhouse very seriously (seriously FUN, of course), and so I have engineered an environment that is as close to ideal as I can accomplish. If you do things half way, you will likely get half way results. I'm not interested in half way.

Glad you like the Sphagnum. It is a mix of plants, no idea what species. (Don't know, don't care: as someone pointed out, there are well over 100 species, and identification in cultivation requires skill and intimate knowledge of the genus, so why try?) Most of it came from Hortus Botanicus (what the heck happened to Robert??) as packing moss accompanying purchased plants, and some from Jeremiah, and some came from spontaneous colonies that generated from chopped, dried moss used for Nepenthes seed germination cultures. The stuff from HB grows very red at times of the year (some pots are a mix of bright green and dark red right now, and yet are all the same plant!) but mainly stays green or green-brown. Getting Sphagnum to consistently grow red likely requires serious witchcraft, the likes of which few of us can summon.

@Sundrew: re better beards. Agreed. And DJ has told me the next time we meet, she will wear a prosthetic chin wig, to feel more in sync with the group. I can tell you, that is something I am looking forward to! :-O

@mass: I am pleasantly surprised by my Cephaloti (plural?), since this is my first experience growing the genus, and I expected more trouble than I got. Mind you, until I have gone another four or five years, I don't consider myself genuinely successful with them: still just "an accomplished novice".

@Brie: another time, another time. It will only get better!

wow pauls place looks fantastic,and i agree i could not imagine better grown plants,paul no half measures barden:bigthumpup:

And a few more...

As Dj told me - it is interesting how two people can take pictures in the same time and place and yet take very different photos:

PA204572.jpg

Notice the huge bud on this cactus to the right and the hand pruners for scale.

PA204538.jpg

Look at all those sarr seedlings!

PA204539.jpg

Sarrs in the hoop house.

PA204541.jpg

PA204546.jpg

Orchids, Nepenthes and sundews - oh, my!

PA204556.jpg

These orchids gave the entire greenhouse a wonderful, gentle aroma.

PA204550.jpg

PA204554.jpg

PA204555.jpg

PA204558.jpg

PA204561.jpg

PA204571.jpg

so wait.. you have a hoop house just for sarrs too!?!?! Lucky..
Wish we had field trips like that out here. :down:

LOVE your x Tiveyi. We should exchange basals, err.. umm.. notes.
my female Sarawak Red popped a stunted retard of a pitcher today. plant does NOT like being moved.

IMG_3326.jpg

Nice selection of photos, Mark!
By the way, that "cactus" is Stapelia gigantea, one of the most noxious smelling botanical curiosities ever to roam the Earth! The open blooms are covered in pink and brown hair and the interior looks like the withered skin of an eight day dead Rabbit. Of course, the "fragrance" it gives off is not unlike the smell of said dead Rabbit left to melt on a hot tarmac.

so wait.. you have a hoop house just for sarrs too!?!?! Lucky..
Wish we had field trips like that out here. :down:

LOVE your x Tiveyi. We should exchange basals, err.. umm.. notes.
my female Sarawak Red popped a stunted retard of a pitcher today. plant does NOT like being moved.

IMG_3326.jpg

Yes, there is a 20 X 48 hoop house that is currently dominated by Sarracenia. In the summer months, it is also the T&P House (tomato and pepper), since our climate isn't ideal for those warmth loving veggies. Your 'Sarawak Red' doesn't look like there's anything wrong with it.....or is that as open as its going to get? I believe my Tiveyi is the "red" clone from EP, if I'm not mistaken. (got it from Jeremiah, of course)

Whim, may I ask what care you provide to get your sphagnum that amazing? What is your daytime/nighttime humidity? How much direct sunlight do they get per day? How often do you mist them? Fertilizers? Coffee? Any special tips? Does temperature matter? Does it grow slowly in the winter, or not even at all?

I absolutely love sphagnum, about as much as I love Nepenthes lol. I'm going to order a few different species to culture in my greenhouse for Christmas and I want to get everything in perfect order before they arrive so they will have optimum growing conditions. :)

Thanks! :awesome:

Your 'Sarawak Red' doesn't look like there's anything wrong with it.....or is that as open as its going to get? I believe my Tiveyi is the "red" clone from EP, if I'm not mistaken. (got it from Jeremiah, of course)

no no, that peristome still has a long ways to go before it's done. Just popped this morning..
Notice the pitcher to leaf size ratio. This pitcher popped quite early, kind of a disappoint.
I moved the plant while repotting some stuff, and poof.. undersized pitcher.
sorry to hijack the thread with my lust for stripes.
proceed..

Whim, may I ask what care you provide to get your sphagnum that amazing? What is your daytime/nighttime humidity? How much direct sunlight do they get per day? How often do you mist them? Fertilizers? Coffee? Any special tips? Does temperature matter? Does it grow slowly in the winter, or not even at all?

I absolutely love sphagnum, about as much as I love Nepenthes lol. I'm going to order a few different species to culture in my greenhouse for Christmas and I want to get everything in perfect order before they arrive so they will have optimum growing conditions. :)

Thanks! :awesome:

I pretty much posted this info earlier today; refer to my post at the top of this page. (Meaning the page you're on right now)

I pretty much posted this info earlier today; refer to my post at the top of this page. (Meaning the page you're on right now)

Oh god, my bad. I didn't even see your reply, nor did I remember I asked basically the same thing earlier. Thanks for the info up there though! Answered my questions. I think it was you that recommended the mist nozzle for garden hoses, yes? I want to give that a go, however I think it would be rather tedious to go outside three or four times a day to turn it on for a few minutes at a time and let the humidity swing around during the breaks. Would it be a better use of my time and money to buy a fogger, a humidistat and a thermostat?

Back