What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frankenstorm

I suspect that most of the people in the country are rather sick of hearing about the storm already. Otoh, those of us sitting within it's crosshairs remain interested. Last night, at halftime of the Peyton crushes NO exhibition, there was a great graphic showing the storm's predicted path. It showed the storm taking a wicked left turn to smash into the NJ & lower NY areas. Of course it got my attention because 1) we were either in that path (or just north of it - the worst side) & 2) with all the hype (storm of century, worst storm ever, etc) - I kinda figured that it would peter out and be a big joke. Hmmmm - maybe not. :scratch:

Here's a current screenshot from some guy explaining what's going on. We're well inland (just below the lowest part of the blue weather-front-thingy) - so - far away from storm surge stuff but not from rain/wind. We're at least 30 minutes away from the major population centers in NYC & along the eastern side of NJ (ironically - where the storm may be at it's most severe). I suspect Heli will see some impressive stuff and Chibae is underwater ... :0o: They're telling us to plan to lose power and that it may be a week before we get it restored (sure hope they're wrong). :0o:
Frankenstorm1.jpg

Feel free to share maps, pics, stories, updates, etc.....

Heli take lots of pictures for us I wanna see Times Square underwater! not really though that would suck.

Right now it's just drizzling, but I'm fairly close to you Ron so this should get nasty. I read there should be 20ft waves in the Great Lakes and we can expect 70mph in NYC and Philly.

Up here we are expected to get some heavy winds and some rain and lose power, but that's all. Though I was reading Colorado Springs news station, who is tracking it on their computer (and predicted it last week and started warning) that it is intensifying considerably.

Me? I'm not worried. I'm not "prepared", but if it hits the fan that big up here I'm just going to leave. The winds expected aren't supposed to be bad enough to knock down trees anyway, so I should be fine.
My kids only had a half day at school today, and local weather is reporting to have water and supplies on hand. I honestly think we're too far away from all the happening to be THAT concerned.

You know, I remember 5, maybe 10 years (probably not 15?) ago there was something that plowed through Florida maybe up through Virginia -- up in Vermont we had rain for a couple days it was soo bad. This time? It's not just Florida; this storm took out a Caribbean Island and now it's coming for South Carolina through Maine! Good luck guys.. put your snorkels on from the looks of it. The fact that it's not going to affect the weather patterns in Vermont but that it's actually going to be a weather pattern in Vermont is wicked weird.

Just stopped drizzling. Some serious tree bending outside my window.

well, we have had 3 days of nonstop rain, but so far, that's about it...we have a home generator, so even if the internet is out, I will still have power.

Supposed to be 80 plus km/h winds tonight, and a lot of rain. Expecting to see downed trees and power lines. Hoping we don't lose power here.

This is a very unusual path. Kinda creeps me out that it is coming so close to Canada (or into Canada as it seems). I guess we aren't in a climate safe zone up here any more. Sigh.

Need to get my camera weather proofed when I get home, to be prepared if the storm is impressive.

There's enough wind and rain to start a soul/funk band over here.

I hope you all make it through the storm unscathed.

stay safe guys. heli, chibae, let us know how you are doing!

@whim: awesome map paul! it wasnt working earlier for me but--pretty awesome. now if they had a map tracking money flow...

Last edited:
Just took a vid, it isn't too bad yet.

Last edited:
Huh... The video isn't showing up. One sec...

Last edited:
When the hurricane rolls in, promise me you'll have a video of the cloud wall.

Remember, if you lose power for a week or so and don't have a generator, you're in for some serious issues: can't open the fridge, no heat/ac (depending on where you are), no hot water/stove/microwave etc (if your house is electric), and your plants are going to sit in less than ideal conditions for a while (although this is probably the least of your concerns).

In 2008, I was in Houston during Hurricane Ike and things became a mad dash for fuel and supplies. I thought it was just going to be another hyped up storm of the century - the brunt of the storm really didn't seem all that bad - but it was sufficiently powerful to knock power out from several days to several weeks in some areas. In Houston, this meant sitting in what amounted to a sweltering, tropical greenhouse, drinking only bottled water and avoiding going outside because of all the mosquitos. For you guys, it sounds like you'll need to bring out the blankets en mass.

It's not really a big deal if you have a generator and aren't near the coast. If not, it's going to suck, to say the least.

Hopefully the forecasters are wrong and it only hits Canada (it's not even a real country ;)), but I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:
Video is working now

got oudda work early due to the storm :D now just gotta hope we dont lose power.

this storm is god sent to cleanse the crap hole that is new jersey. bout time!

so terrible in new england wish i still lived in CA luckily still have power but

We Canadians will gladly take the bullets for you Americans. We can take it.

Back