What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone here done something like this with CP's?

229867_10151234189659456_927954967_n.jpg

I was reading on this Riparium type of aqua scape, and I'm a fan. I love fish and I love plants. I know some fish can live in very acidic water such as cardinals, Discus, etc. if using RO water on a system like this. would one be able to add Sundews? Pings? any other bog type CP's to this? just as an additional to marginal plants. I figure if the bio-load is light by only keeping a few cardinals would the water be ok?

Never done it, but it has deffinately crossed my mind many times :) I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Start with some expendable plants to experiment with for several months and see how they do. I'd love to see this actually done!

depends on the plants. highland plants will probably be a no-no since they require temperature drops at night and the water from the tank will hamper with the cooling process. most neps will be out of the question as well, especially the highlanders since they require good drainage in general. mirabilis could probably be a good choice as well as ampullaria maybe? bladderworts would probably be the easiest, and perhaps certain species of drosera would do alright.

I would think that the fish would produce far too many nutrients to be healthy for carnivorous plants to be absorbing through their roots. The plants would probably tox out pretty quickly. I know several people who've killed their carnivores by watering them with fish tank water.

I've got U graminifolia growing in my kid's aquarium as a kind of lawn. it's doing pretty well where light levels are high.

Many Utricularia, especially graminifolia can deal with elevated nutrient levels. Pinguicula are also more tolerant than other carnivorous genera.

dont know , but i sure do like the idea, you go and others will follow , but i too would try a few cheap types first, for a long while.

Never done it, but it has deffinately crossed my mind many times :) I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Start with some expendable plants to experiment with for several months and see how they do. I'd love to see this actually done!

We did this at Meadowview with the Gambusia last year.

If you keep the bioload light, filtration strong, and use heavy feeding companion plants it should be doable.

A willow branch will suck up any nutrients very quickly when they are produced, I think a black water set up would work best with very soft water and lots of tannins.

Yeah I think a 50 gallon with 20 cardinals and some bee shrimps and some good feeders plants and filtration would do it.
Check this beauty! Insane!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryZpGXAsAzM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Wow! That tank is gorgeous! That stocking idea could work. Depending on how the water returns you could probably grow Nepenthes mirabilis or belii in there, along with a few small orchids.

Most CPs in North America are found along blackwater sources. Most of the water in these streams or ponds looks like really dark tea.

Back