What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Divaskid's Plants

It's not the height I'm worried about, it's the diameter..... a solid meter wide!
Those 'Miranda' pitchers are huge!

HPIM0610.jpg

maybe if we keep quoting this pic we'll get one of her smiling eventually..
you're already off to a good start though. People made fun of me when I posted a pic with my toes in it.

maybe if we keep quoting this pic we'll get one of her smiling eventually..
you're already off to a good start though. People made fun of me when I posted a pic with my toes in it.

its Hawaii toes are not optional :p

Hahaha I was just going to say the same thing, in Hawaii, shoes are optional all year round and most don't wear them lol Well, at home anyway, I don't think I could get away with it at work.

I am curently not wearing any as we speak and I've gone outside at least three times ;)

Here's a picture of me smiling :-D and another picture to throw you off. Check out this footwear!
2603_548164741496_4345875_n.jpg

its Hawaii toes are not optional :p

I'm pretty sure toes are mandatory everywhere..... Kinda essential to walking.
I should post a photo with my toes! None of them are straight! That's what years of martial arts does.

yeah, I've got funny looking Michigan toes. that's it.. :p

I'd have frostbite within seconds if I did that...

D. helodes, I'm pretty excited about this guy, it already has some nice coloring.
DSC_4383.jpg

D. indica. Nom nom
DSC_4391-2.jpg

Some updates and also some new faces in my greenhouse, courtesy of an awesome member here!! :-D Not all of them had pitchers yet, so more to pictures to come later down the road

DSC_4476.jpg

D. helodes showing some more leaves

DSC_4483.jpg

P. John Rizzi finally catching up with the other guys

DSC_4505.jpg

N. splendiana x 'Medusa' (bellii x sibuyanensis)

DwarfPeacock-4491.jpg

N. Dwarf Peacock. Love the coloring on this little guy so far!

What did you do to get the D. helodes to sprout? I've treated mine exactly the same as any other pygmy and they haven't budged.

I didn't do anything special that I know of. I think it must be beginners luck! I have them in a Dixie cup with a sand peat mix sitting in water. The bench they're on is on the north facing side of the house so it doesn't get much sun.

They were started from gemmae not seed, maybe that's why? I did notice the ones I have in pure peat in a fish tank which has higher humidity sprouted a week sooner than these did. Maybe raise the humidity to get yours to sprout?

plants are looking good. toes too..
Is there snow in Hawaii? I remember being able to snowboard year round in Las Vegas thanks to
Mt. Charleston.

Yup, theres snow here. On the Big Island theres usually snow in the winter on Maunakea (where the observatory is). Still haven't heard of any this year though.

I think there was snow in feb or march of this year. Hasn't snowed here in more than a year on Maui

It seems to me the island is getting hotter! I remember when my neighborhood/city used to be more tropical and everything was lush and green. Now, even in the winter time, the mountains are dry and like a desert. We even have cactus growing on the hills now.
Wish I had pictures to document the change.

My D. helodes are gemmae. They're in a terrarium, so they're getting quite a bit of light. I was able to get D. roseanna and D. palace ssp. trichocaulis to sprout no problem.

Hmmmm I find that very interesting because I'm having trouble with the D. paleacea subsp. Trichocaulis gemmae sprouting. I've only had one sprout and that one I just noticed today. Must be our conditions...

How are your roseanna and paleacea looking so far? Have any pics up anywhere?

Where did you get the Dwarf Peacock. Aside from myself I've never met anyone that has one aside from me.

My roseanna and palacea trichocaulis are both doing amazingly. I have photos of them in my personal thread.

Dewy update: Can't wait for the sun to come back! Everything has lost its color during the winter.

DSC_0005_zps71252683.jpg

DSC_0370_zpsc181fd25.jpg

DSC_0357_zpse7c90c82.jpg

DSC_0376_zpsa29308f8.jpg

DSC_0379_zpsf5fc534e.jpg

Back