What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Divaskid's Plants

I am dealing with the exact same problem. After a two week vacation I came back to about a fourth of the cuttings and a few potted plants either wilted (like above) or completely brown. Very mysterious as the plants were very healthy before I left. Suprisingly it only struck plants growing in pure sphagnum. My guess is that they became waterlogged and contracted some sort of rot. Anyone have further insight?

I am dealing with the exact same problem. After a two week vacation I came back to about a fourth of the cuttings and a few potted plants either wilted (like above) or completely brown. Very mysterious as the plants were very healthy before I left. Suprisingly it only struck plants growing in pure sphagnum. My guess is that they became waterlogged and contracted some sort of rot. Anyone have further insight?

In hindsight, I tend to agree with the water logging situation causing this. This particular cutting got watered more then usual after I fixed one if my little sprinklers. Before I noticed it, it was too wet and already too late.

In regards to your plants this could be the case, but also it has been very hot here the last few weeks! I've found some of my plants have been suffering with the hot weather as well. Did you have your plants watered while you were gone?

Sorry to hear about your plants too! Hopefully it wasn't too great of a loss for you.

'Sorry to hear about your N. ventricosa x ephippiata. 'Guess we all know the feeling of having a prized plant bite the dust. On the other hand your 'St. Hedwig' looks bigger than mine and very healthy.

that is a shame N. ventricosa x ephippiata sounds like a really cool cross

More pictures :)

First I must show off the newly opened N. 'Whisper'! It unfortunately opened up towards the pot, but I managed to get a few shots of it anyway.

Curious to see if this new N. talangensis x veitchii pitcher get similar stripes as the last one.

Don't think I've ever posted pics of this one. It makes pitchers like crazy though

So cute!

The St. Pacificus is also a great grower that puts out a bunch a big pitchers. Glad I picked up one of these :D

great update Michelle,that n.whisper is coming on a treat:)

So I've been debating and debating for a week now whether to bring my plants inside for Tropical storm Flossie or not. Finally after seeing the pic below I decided, better to be safe than sorry.

Of course now my kitchen looks like this! Anyone else in Hawaii prepping for the storm?

Yeah, that looks like our place; orchids, tillandsias, and nepenthes everywhere. Still tons outside though. I reinforced as much of the nursery as I could, so we'll see. The storm is now coming directly at us; hopefully the yurt will survive.

Yeah, that looks like our place; orchids, tillandsias, and nepenthes everywhere. Still tons outside though. I reinforced as much of the nursery as I could, so we'll see. The storm is now coming directly at us; hopefully the yurt will survive.

Oh good I'm not the only crazy one! Everyone at my house thinks I'm crazy hahaha

Hope everything holds up for you! I think your island is getting the brunt force of it.
You live in a yurt?!?

The plants are watered four times daily via an automatic hose timer + sprinkler. My usual mix includes cinder, orchidbark, perlite, and a pinch of coir, very airy and loose. From what I saw I don't believe it was caused by heat. I have definitely been seeing heat stress however, mostly growth tips and new leaves getting very floppy in the noon sun. The only place I use pure sphag is with my cuttings, it tends to become compacted and decay quickly. Generally the cuttings are replanted before this can happen. Surprisingly, all that died had started strong root and leaf growth, newly taken cuttings seemed less affected. I may need to investigate other medias for striking cuttings.

I too am debating whether to move the plants in for the storm. I think I will wait and see how badly it hits the Big Island and Maui before making the call tomorrow. My biggest fear would be debris falling atop them. The last time we had strong winds a loosely attached window screen above fell on them. Luckily it landed right between the benches and only scratched a few leaves. My wishes go out to you Christian and Mach (on Maui)! 12 hours to impact...

good luck to all of you!m looks like the storm is collapsing :)

edit: did they really name the storm flossie? :0o:

What are the parents of 'St. Pacificus'? It looks awesome!

Dueoka: it must be the sphagnum holding onto the water and just water logging the cuttings. Wish there was a media that didn't do that!

good luck to all of you!m looks like the storm is collapsing :)

edit: did they really name the storm flossie? :0o:

Yup, looks like its slowing down. Phew! Im still glad I brought them though because anything over 20 mph winds would cause damage. My shade house is very unprotected from the elements!

Yeah, Flossie is kind of a weird name. I know there's some standards for which they name the storms though. I didn't realize we're already on letter F!

Well, I took a bunch of pics today and went to put them on the computer but my SD card has gone completely missing! I'm going absolutely mad trying to find it! :headwall:

Anyway, I'm sure I'll find it eventually and probably somewhere weird. So, since I have nothing current to share this week I thought I'd share some pictures from my first collection (which has unfortunately gone and past) :) I forgotten I even had some of these!

First up is my two truncatas. One was a male one was female :) Gosh I miss these two!

Not sure if I'm correct on the 'Lowland' description. I saw somewhere that I put M clone, so this may be what the first one is ???

And my only female to ever flower was this truncata. Here's a pic of the flowers

My beloved bicalcarata red x orange (BTW if anyone has one I'm currently looking for any type of bical!)

Miranda at its best!

Pretty sure this one is N. reinwardtiana x macrovulgaris. I wasn't very good at keeping track of names apparently back then lol

Still can't find the SD card, but luckily I have a spare :blush:

N.'Whisper' gettin' its color on slowly...

Finally broke down and got a black cloth to use as a backdrop. I'm liking it! :-D Portraiture for nepenthes!

Almost forgot the great live sphagnum moss I got from Mass last week! I highly recommend getting if he still has some left ;)
Sorry for the bad phone pic...

Last edited:
Check out what my little rafflesiana caught!
A centipede!
It totally freaked me out when I tore it open. Never thought one of those would end up in a pitcher. I thought it was alive at first.
F41226E4-EEB8-45C4-89C0-49B951378D6D-5893-00000833125828AC_zps2d22f5ab.jpg

74273D8E-6136-4B0C-AF72-FEB323D75A9B-5893-00000832F400862B_zpsae5284ee.jpg

Wow that's a first. I wonder why it climbed in there?

Back