What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Divaskid's Plants

Talk about a huge jump in pitcher size! The big one is the one made right after the small one.
CA3E52A5-A4F8-4B64-BF41-D07C446060E4-471-0000007B978D8A19_zpsf58d04f4.jpg

N. 'Effulgent Koto'

Last edited:
Updates from the shade house:

N. maxima put out two basal shoots, Yay! The little lower pitchers are cute!

N. 'Carolyn' having a big breakfast this morning

This nepenthes is pretty small, the pitcher is only about an inch in size, but I can already see some greatness in its future!

Resident lizard

And last but not least, this Thursday was my birthday so I thought it was a good excuse to buy myself something for my highland tank :-D Surprisingly the plants actually came early, right on my b-day!

Love the fusca. I need to pick up one of the Mamut form while they're still around in abundance.

Love the fusca. I need to pick up one of the Mamut form while they're still around in abundance.

Id recommend getting one, they look even better in person.

Had to post the newest pitcher on my N. miribilis echinostoma. In just three months it went from a little baby green thing to this! :-D

The N. reinwardtiana also got it first eye spots on its newest pitcher

And a couple more that were looking good and green....

:)wow that N. miribilis echinostoma has grown great in three months ,it must love your conditions,great pics as usual

Thanks Corky :)

Ok, this is a horrible picture but I'm super excited about this one. I've had this spathulata x ovata for quite a while and it didn't push out a single leaf much less a pitcher and now it FINALLY is!

Newest N. 'Whisper' opening :D

This one is growing FAST and leaves are doubling in size!

It is a real thrill to watch a new pitcher developing while not knowing what it will look like. 'Sounds like you are doing things right, judging by the rapid growth of your plants.

spathulata x ovata sounds good ,i grow both parents,the developing pitcher you have looks just like ovata to me,love that maxima too,i have a dwarf form but think i might get a larger form next year as i think they are stunning,

Thanks guys! :)

spathulata x ovata sounds good ,i grow both parents,the developing pitcher you have looks just like ovata to me,love that maxima too,i have a dwarf form but think i might get a larger form next year as i think they are stunning,

I'm glad to hear that you think it looks like ovata. Thats the reason I chose it, hoping it would look more like the ovata than the spathulata :) Its always a gamble with seed grown plants.
I do have a picture of the pitcher it came with though and I would agree with you in your assessment. I hope I can get it to darken up as nicely as the pitcher it came with since I don't really have that much light in the tank its in. Only time will tell if I can grow it as well….

Right now I'm just happy that its finally growing! The darkening of pitchers can come later ;)

How do you like your mini maxima? I just ordered one myself and I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival.

i really like the mini maxima,i think there are a few clones around,it grew a couple of basals but i think this was to do with it been a tc plant and full of chemicals,i took off one basal ,rooted it and gave it to my bro (fingers crossed his new kitten has not ate it ,or battered it to death),i cooked it a bit in an experiment to see how close it could get to the lights (regrettable)but its one tough plant and is recovering after i moved it a bit further away,mine was from a guy in Europe and was labeled as N.maxima noir "minima" so god knows what clone it is,Ovata i find grows quite well compared to to some,so if you like it it might be worth a gamble

Ooooo a mini black maxima, that sounds awesome. Do you have any pictures? I'd be curious to see how yours looks compared to mine (arrives either tomorrow or Monday:-D can't wait!).
If I come across an ovata for sale I'll have to snag it. I'm a sucker for species anyway.

its still small as i have not had it that long (and in my conditions neps can be painfully slow) this was before i decided to cook the little guy,dunno how dark it will turn out ,that's just how it was labeled,i hope to get a larger variety and grow it in natural sunlight in a southern window as they seem pretty tough and i hope will cope with low humidity,just because i like posting pics of my plants:-D here is an Ovata pitcher,most have gone brown but its well on the way to producing four more larger ones,pretty excited about that,if you like species its a great one imo

Last edited:
Great peristome on the ovata! I also think the coloring on the maxima is really nice. Especially for such a small size.
I'll post pics of mine once it arrives :)

Wish there was a way to show how much the nepenthes have grown the past two weeks. They're just going crazy with all this nice winter rain :)

The spathulata x ovata just opened up! Hasn't colored up yet, but its starting too…

richjam1986, the green reinwardtiana is putting out a huge new pitcher. It doesn't show it justice in the pic, but its a beauty and almost twice the size as the last pitcher. Can't wait to see it open to see if its big enough for eye spots.

Still trying to grow the sphagnum I got from Mass, but I feel like I'm not doing so well. I have a feeling it may just be too warm here? Anyone else growing it well that could offer up some advice?

And last but not least the love bug of my life:eek: Nava, she just turned 5 yesterday! In this pic she was wondering when I was going to stop playing in my shade house and play with her instead.

PS Corky, the plants came in yesterday but there wasn't any pitchers to take pictures of. So it'll be month or so before I can post pics of the maxima ;)

How long ago did you get the moss? I've noticed it can take a little while for it to settle in, but after it does, I have multiple strains of sphagnum in numerous pots, all growing very well in everything from 40-95 F temperatures, as long as it's kept really moist.

P. sethos color is looking good.
7EBDF2E2-8EC4-4CA9-9B57-F562C005C053-3906-000004EF9F4C1A34_zpsb45d9097.jpg

How long ago did you get the moss? I've noticed it can take a little while for it to settle in, but after it does, I have multiple strains of sphagnum in numerous pots, all growing very well in everything from 40-95 F temperatures, as long as it's kept really moist.

I received it at the beginning of August, so about 4 months ago.
Does it need to be laying in peat? I noticed some people have theirs just growing on benches.

spathulata x ovata is looking good,and a waiting game with the maxima (kind of more exciting for you) love the colour on that sethos,i see the secret of your success is masses of ants,my dog can't understand why plants get so much attention:-Dhope Av8tor (butch)does not mind me pointing you in the direction of his spaghnum growing guide http://www.bluegrasscarnivores.com/

Last edited:
Thanks Corky for the info :)
Here's an update on the N. spathulata x ovata. It's starting to color up nicely despite it being in the back of the tank where it doesn't get much light.

Teeth

Back