What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

adnedarn's photo thread

Nepenthes "Two Face" available soon (just kidding)
Not too sure what caused this, or if other pitchers on the plant are like this (it is in a huge jungled mess of Nepenthes vines) but I think it is too cool! I believe it is N. maxima x ventricosa.

20170407_093456_zpsxy4hsqu4.jpg

20170407_093502_zpsihs704r6.jpg

20170407_093451_zps6lmyhlxr.jpg

20170407_093429_zpszq0ryqif.jpg

It's just a random developmental mutation as far as I'm aware. I've had something similar occur on a ventricosa hybrid though not quite as extreme, and I know this has been observed in the wild before (with Sarracenia as well.)

It can also be caused by a loss of all or nearly all light exposure on one side of the pitcher, resulting in a lack of pigment formation. Happens often enough for me, and if a pitcher forms completely in the dark then the whole thing can end up pale or white.

hcarlton, it definitely was in that condition, one side directly to the side of the greenhouse, the other was completely shaded by Nepenthes jungle lol. But there are lots of pitchers in there that have the same and have not done that.

Yeah, caused by lighting. Some of my Sarracenia get like that because they only get direct sun in the late afternoon.

I highly doubt it's just lighting that's the sole factor, because it's variable what the plants do in response, but it's one of the major contributors.

These may already be listed here... but anyway.

N. ventricosa -red x ovata
FB_IMG_14878975489773487_zpsgafptqgr.jpg

20170314_183701_zps8plzeq5y.jpg

N. thorelii x witteii(?)
20170529_145628_zpshbcjhc2m.jpg

That ventricosa x ovata is nice. I like how pointed the peristome becomes once it folds back.

Thanks! I really like that plant too... It's probably the closest to a black Nepenthes I have (Hmm, maybe black dragon too!), but it only happens when the pitchers are really old.

Here is a current shot of my VFT cultivar tray. If you have a flytrap you would like to trade, I'm always looking to expand my collection!!
20170530_190220_zpsxyooalxd.jpg

Starting at top left going down like reading a book...

B52
B52
Maroon Monster
SD Draco
SD Draco
Maroon Monster
Flaming Lips
SD Draco
Maroon Monster
coquillage
UK Sawtooth II
Pinnacle
UK Sawtooth II
blank
Wip Slim Snapper (Second up on right)
blank
blank
Jaws (bottom right)

I always love a nice collection of flytraps.

Goodly # of vfts ya got there. :)

Spent some time today dividing and taking pullings of some Cephs... 'Big Boy' and 'Czech Giant' needed it the most. Guess I need a bigger tank to keep them in (really I'm sure they'd be fine just in the greenhouse, not sure why I keep them in there lol).
FB_IMG_14962788514615041_zpsx3tvxccr.jpg

Evem though this is Andrew's photo thread here as some half n half examples from some of my Sarracenia

S. 'Judith Hindle'
01880005.jpg

S. purpurea ssp venosa
IMGP4590_zpsk7fkyy2z.jpg

S. oreophila × purpurea ssp venosa
IMGP4587_zpsdgamchje.jpg

All the red side is on the west facing side where they receive direct late afternoon sun.

Are the Cephalotus in a tank in your greenhouse?

Yes they are, not really sure why. LOL I guess so they have their own dedicated place where I can really keep an eye on them? (I've always had a problem keeping them) or maybe because most of those I received as leaves so I wanted to be sure there was high humidity for a better chance of strike. *shrug* It's working so I left them there.

They do that at the UC Davis Botanical Conservatory too, so I was wondering if it was some secret technique for growing Cephalotus better lol.

Too funny! I think my main problem with not being able to keep them is keeping them too dry. With them like this it catches my eye and I'm able to keep them all watered better than how I used to keep them.

Took some more cuttings over this past week... I think this was the hardest one to cut off of them.

N. truncata

Let me fix those photos.... Sorry

A nice, big truncata!

Here we go, this is better...

20170628_194406_zpsnaymhuo3.jpg

20170628_194818_zpsiucg4hhp.jpg

Back