What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Political Phone Calls

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I'm a voter and vote in all the elections. I know when it is and know who I'm voting for.
I however have the absolute sh$#'s of all the prerecorded phone calls I'm getting now that the election is coming up.
I swear yesterday I got a call every 15-20 minutes between 5:00PM - 6:30PM. I was really tired from work and tried to lay down to get a little nap in before going out to dinner with some friends.... I could not with the phone ringing all the time.
Today it has rung 3 -4 times and I'm tired of it. They need to have an option to stop calling. It does not change my mind who I'm voting for, if anything I may pull the lever against the person that feels like disrupting me with several calls a day.

I looked around after hanging up the phone from another one of these calls and found this;
http://www.stoppoliticalcalls.org/index.php

Anyone try use them or know anything about it?

Sorry for the rant.......

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse than telemarketers...

What! That's ridiculous. Canada does not seem to allow political robocalls. There was even a big scandal about it last year. We NEVER get them here, but we do have the ads on TV and radio.

We do get spam calls about "Duct cleaning" but the operators are real people with fake English names like "Humpty dumpty". I usually say something like "we don't have ducts, the termites ate them" and the hang up.

You Americans and your funny political system.. No queen! Pfft!

I decided my remark was in poor taste for the forum, wish we had a delete post option instead of just an edit

Too funny Peat! I need to move to canada! And sell canned "tropical air" to combat the cold. lolz

Telemarketing calls (along with all others including tons of robocalls) have me evaluating losing our landline phone. Our primary broadband is DSL so that will need to be switched also. It's sad to me that so many companies totally ignore the 'Do not call list' and cannot be caught/punished...

Oh. My. Gosh. I am SICK of them calling all day, all night, and even on the weekends. When we're not home, they leave dozens of hangups on the recorder, which are really hell'a loud. Ugh!

Thanks for the link. We'll register ASAP.

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse than telemarketers...

Telemarketing calls (along with all others including tons of robocalls) have me evaluating losing our landline phone. Our primary broadband is DSL so that will need to be switched also. It's sad to me that so many companies totally ignore the 'Do not call list' and cannot be caught/punished...

I thankfully I have not gotten any telemarketer calls in well over a year since signing up for the do not call list.
https://www.donotcall.gov/

I guess that does not pertain to political calls.

Oh. My. Gosh. I am SICK of them calling all day, all night, and even on the weekends. When we're not home, they leave dozens of hangups on the recorder, which are really hell'a loud. Ugh!

Thanks for the link. We'll register ASAP.
I have not signed up, as I did not try to do any more searching into them. Also my thought is if they can block the calls I'm screwed this time around. I doubt it would work fast enough to stop the calls for the upcoming election..... maybe the next one... in 4 years...

I had someone call me and ask whether I was gonna vote yes on the voter ID law.
I asked "You mean that voter suppression thing? No I don't support that."
Then she hung up on me, apparently not the answer she wanted cos usually those survey people go on and on.

I believe that Political and Charity (religious) telemarketers are exempt from the do not call list and are still allowed to bother you.

Last edited:
I believe that Political and Charity (religious) telemarketers are exempt from the do not call list and are still allowed to bother you.
There are some exemptions but those have not been my primary issue.

I thankfully I have not gotten any telemarketer calls in well over a year since signing up for the do not call list.
https://www.donotcall.gov/
Wow! :0o: That's amazing to me. We've been on the list since it started. It mostly worked well for a while** until some idiots learned how to get around the rules.

Now, the bright ones use a prerecorded message, often involving refinancing or fixing your credit rating (typically some 'hot-button' subject that's in the media). Then they tell you to press one to talk to someone or 2 to disconnect or 3 to be removed from the list (or something similar). If you have caller ID, the number will be blocked. If you press one to talk to someone, they will never give you 1) a real phone number or 2) a real company name as the FCC requires one or both to report a company. If I ask for either, they quickly hang up. Apparently the FTC understands the problem but cannot fix it. They are now offering a reward to anyone who can.

I'm shocked that you don't have them calling you ... :scratch: Some weeks I'll only get 3 or 4 calls for the whole week, however, the more usual frequency is 3-6 calls per day.

** in the early days after the 'Do not call list' was started, I remember a call from a lady selling replacement windows (or vinyl siding or some actual 'real' stuff). When I asked for the name of the business and a phone number to contact them (to order the work after I talked with my wife), there was a pause. Then she asked, do you want this information to turn us in or to really make an order? I busted out laughing (couldn't help it) & she hung up.

Last edited:
Any charity,government agency,or political call is exempt from the do not call.
Part of why we no longer have a landline.

The DNCL does not work as it should. My experience has been similar to Ron's, and my solution was to abandon the land line.

Back