What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basalt Sand

Does anyone know if basalt sand is ok to use with CPs if its washed properly? I'm thinking of using it as a media for the pots to sit in to prevent them from moving around and tipping over. The sand would basically be sitting in the water that the CPs would also be sitting in. In otherwords, a big tub would be filled with about an inch of sand and water and the CP pots would sit in this.

Basalt is a mafic rock, so it has lower silica. Most people say to use pool filter sand which is high in silica because it is comprised of felsic rocks. Basalt sand is the exact opposite of what most people would use.

Go to a pool store and get pool filter sand would be my advice.

It would work well for use with Nepenthes, but it is too rich in minerals for use with other CPs.

Thank you! I knew someone on here would have the answer I needed. I'm glad I asked before I did anything :D

It might be good for Mexican butterworts. Don't know for sure, though.

Back