What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PCR To Identify Plant Sex/Spp

Hello,
I wanted to know if anyone on this forum does PCR on their small Nepenthes plants to determine sex or species. I am going to start some seedlings in TC and was thinking of doing this. Waiting years to determine this, is something I do not have the patience for. :)

Never heard of such a thing but it would save a hell of a lotta time & effort for sure! I'd be interested to know how it works and how often the results are wrong. Where does one get such tests performed?

Are you referring to Polymerase Chain Reaction? If so, why not just wait for flowers?

Why can't markers be easily established in the plant kingdom? Has the research just not been done? I assume that it is more simple for the animal kingdom because of the genetic similarities? And since the pre established markers for animals don't apply to plants we would need to start over clean and do all new work?

To establish the sex of a Nepenthes before it is an adult, would you need to find the equivalent of the X and Y chromosomes for the plant and just test for those? Obviously this would be rather difficult. I may be out of my depth here.... Do plants even have X and Y chromosomes or something similar? (Bio teacher skipped plant biology...)

Lots of questions... :p

Back