What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facebook - helpful or waste?

I'm gonna get you for those ageist remarks pine :lol:
I just realized another major use for FB that Pine reminded me of. My son is in Afghanistan right now as a contracter. Text messaging and calling are very expensive. When I am on line I keep my FB page open but minimized. My computor volume is turned on. When he has some spare time he logs in to FB and if he sends me a private chat, even just to say a quick hello, my alert chimes and I can chat real time, not wait for email or a time when we can both sitdown and skype. I only do this at home, FB is not allowed, and rightly so, at work. (along with twitter, chat rooms and other forms of "social media")

With Skype you can VOIP for free. That's how I call all my overseas contacts. You can instant message and conference call via Skype too.

It seems to me that several of you with strong opinions on the usefulness of such a thing as facebook and other "anti-social networks" are among the throngs of people who are hopelessly and sadly addicted to these sites. I've seen it a hundred times, people will go into full panic mode if they can't access their stupid facebook account to see what their equally sad friends are doing at the moment or to make sure that everyone knows that they "like" something. I've seen you people walking aimlessly and zombie like around glued to your smart phones so captivated by the synthetic world of facebook that you walk into things, miss your buss stops and, ignore people who are trying to have a real conversation with you. " Ooohh I need to hurry up and see what Sally is eating right now or what sad bathroom mirror self portrait of mine people like the best !" Get a life.

If there are any legitimate uses to the site, I assure you they are ignored by the overwhelming majority of the public in lieu of what's going on in so and so's pathetic "farm" or to be the 1st to comment on yet another sorry self portrait of someone sitting in a group of people somewhere ignoring them in order to supply you with your facebook fodder ! The saddest thing of all is that adults have bought into this. I could see the teeny boppers thinking this is a great thing but, anyone over 17 years old should be ashamed of themselves for even having a facebook account.

I could go on for days about how ridiculous such sites are but, I won't. Good day.

i use face book just a bit. and a bit less all the time. now i find since i did post a few photos from my photobucket account i know cant find a way to stop every photo i load on photobucket from popping up on face book:censor::censor:.
can some one here help me stop this?
I cant seem to find the right security measure on photobucket to stop facebooks swiping of my pics.
i never wanted every one to see all pics i take. and every one there seems to think i want them up for the whole world to see.:blush:
:blush:
i know my fault :crazy: but id still like to stop it.

I just use Facebook to stay in contact with my friends if they do not have a phone or etc. I also use Facebook for groups so that I can get notes for school or even talk to other cp enthusiasts who aren't on TF. I rarely go on and it's usually only for a couple minutes but I see why it is a useful tool.

Cthulhu138 I strongly resent being cast as a mindless zombie who is addicted to anything, except caffine. Your arragant disdain for those of use who find something useful and are sharing why is annoying, to put it mildly. You know nothing of my personal life except what I have shared in this thread yet you cast me as some sort of FB zombie constantly glued to my computor or smartphone. This makes me angry. I could make several inferences about you based on your screen name, but I don't. Therefore you have no right to profile me based on the fact that I use facebook.
Members here have shared their personal reasons of why they find Fb to be useful. Yet you ignore them and continue to rant about how evil it is. And further have pity for those adults who have been sucked in to the vortex.
I am an intelligent adult with two grown children, grandchildren and a six figure income. I have not been sucked into anything nor am I ashamed for utilizing FB as a tool for contact and communication with my family, my friends, my neighbors and yes, even my boss. The only FB friends I have never met in "real life" are those who are also on TF. You on the other hand have an uptight, self-rightous aditude, parroting what you have read, and calling us pathetic.
I could go on for days about how sorry I am for you stuck in your little world of rightousness, but I won't. Better Day.

It seems to me that several of you with strong opinions on the usefulness of such a thing as facebook and other "anti-social networks" are among the throngs of people who are hopelessly and sadly addicted to these sites. I've seen it a hundred times, people will go into full panic mode if they can't access their stupid facebook account to see what their equally sad friends are doing at the moment or to make sure that everyone knows that they "like" something.

While I wouldn't choose the hard-edged delivery style Cthulhu has, I certainly agree with the sentiments therein. That said, as a participant, YOU get to choose how to use the service and define its role in your life. If you have family and friends whose geographic proximity makes meaningful interaction difficult, social media can be a real asset. I firmly believe that individuals have a responsibility to self to keep a short leash on their Internet identity and set limits on how much, and to what degree they allow themselves to be involved. There is a reason psychologists speak about "Internet addiction" as a parallel to gambling behavior.

For me, the volume of hollow, vapid "content" Farcebook now shares with millions of people degrades the experience, and for me, makes it a grotesque time waster; I have no interest in spending time to sort the gems from the junk. And then there's FarmVille. I closed my account because acquaintances refused to stop sending me invites to "harvest their beets" etc. What a mindless waste of time and energy. (In my estimation)

It was inevitable that this discussion would erode into a highly polarized, emotionally overwrought "us VS them" rant fest. Media like FB tend to have a strong polarizing effect on people. One mans poison, as the saying goes.....

Last edited:
"I used to want to read other people's thoughts. Then I got Facebook.."

I think the way the user chooses to approach the system makes the difference. Some people may use it to play mindless games, some may use it for meaningful interaction. I don't currently have a cell phone or texting plan, so Facebook is my main way of communicating with others. IMO, it can be very hurtful, or very helpful, depending on how it is used. There is no one pitch answer. Not all Facebook users are stupid, and not all are intelligent.

On a more funny note, have you all seen those ads that are like "Facebook is like chairs"? They crack me up...

On a more funny note, have you all seen those ads that are like "Facebook is like chairs"? They crack me up...

nope can you face book me ? im on now jimmy conner friend ??
or put up a ULR here

Here it is. One of the worst ads in history:

youtube.com/#/watch?v=c7SjvLceXgU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dc7SjvLceXgU

Hopefully it works, I'm on iPad at the moment, so stuff is harder to copy and paste.

nope whats the name of the video ill go myself

Called "Facebook, the story of us"

youtube.com/watch?feature=m-ch-fea&v=c7SjvLceXgU

That one won't work either. Obviously I suck at computers. :p

I like facebook for a few reasons.
1. I'm 3000 miles from home, away from my friends and family, it's nice to be able to see new pictures of them, their children, and talk to them without a phone bill to rival the national deficit or a clogged up email account. It is also easier to post pictures for my family to see what we are doing (because, believe it or not, some people actually do care what others are doing, especially when they have children and holidays are coming up) and see my children grow up, since they can't be there.

2. I have moved 6 times in the past 6 or so years due to the military, it is an easy way to keep up with all the friends I"ve made along the way. I miss them!

Things I don't like: F'ing game requests. I have blocked all the "offenders" from sending me any more game requests. Problem solved. I probably spend more time on here or other forums than I do on FB, I just leave it running in the background most of the time. If I need a time killer (like say when I just recently spent 12+ hours at the airport due to cancelled flights) it gave me something to do other than read a book or watch a movie.

I do find the "if you're an adult with a facebook account you should be ashamed" a resentful and obnoxious comment. I am 28, with 4 children, we pay taxes and live a good healthy life. There are far worse things you can do than be on facebook. Also, ignoring social situations - damn right I use it for that, I don't like social situations or groups of random people talking to me, and they are much less likely to do so if I am indisposed.

ASHG2385 +1, very well written post

They say too much water or salt will kill you. I found FB kind of intriguing in the beginning, less so now. As some have said, very little info about me is on there profile wise. It can get tedious reading about someone else's indigestion or ingrown toenail, but theoretically at least you don't have to read about it if you do not wish to do so. A year or so ago I gave up my cell phone as it broke and VW stinks big time according to me and others evidently. That being said, a friend and his wife while traveling overseas loaned me an iphone - I was housesitting for them. It was nice to use for a time and the first time I accessed the web via tel. I still prefer my desktop. And one can still easily leave the phone in the car or another room, so it is like you don't have it. And the worry you get when you realize you don't have it on your person and what if someone is calling Uganda or wherever. Or the idea that you are essentially paying to carry around a tracking device. Note to criminals: if you are banging' or whatever leave your cellie at the crib.:) One fellow is on the hook for murder based on info pinged from his cell to towers at/near the crime scene. A good thing that, but you know. How long before your cell can tell the cops you were speeding or ??? Your car already can to a point, at least after the fact with some of the sensors recording data. Come to think of it, and I am off track...at a drug store the other day, I saw home use home use based. drug testing kits!! So if you don't know if you are on drugs, get there soon!

I was cajoled into FB a few years ago by one of my sons.... who decided that we shouldn't be friends... at the time. Within a week of being there I was befriended by a guy I knew in grade school, with an invitation to join a group he created for our high school graduating class. That was like an instant 75 more friends. Between that and college and various churches and jobs, I have found a bunch more friends. FB is basically a cross-section of humanity. It has the best and worst of our species, not unlike TF. For the most part, I enjoy playing Scrabble, Words With Friends, commenting on other people's posts, and sharing cat / family / plant photos. It's as time consuming as one wants it to be. It's also as private or public as one wants it to be. In my opinion, the benefits outweigh the costs.

Feel free to send me a friend request.

I would have to disagree with any time sucking. That is all up to the individual.
I'm signed up to FB but usually only access / look at anything maybe 2 times a month....

For friends hundreds of miles away, it can be an easy way to communicate with pictures and words....

One other thing to say about FB is some people can be obnoxious; hiding behind a computer and sometimes are extremely strong in the beliefs.
My wife visits FB regularly. During the election she stayed off for some time because of this....

Here is a great post she made about it:
"I would like to point out that those of you who hate my political choices & opinions simply b/c they differ then yours is part of what is wrong with America. Soldiers have fought so that I have the freedom to choose a political party & vote for the president that I feel serves me best. The fact that you (the spewers of hate) disgust me, & frankly, bring tears to my eyes. I am not wrong, & neither are you. They are opinions. We are all different. It's part of what America great."

I’ve been friended by odd people. One was an out of the blue request by a woman, with no message, that none of my friends knew. So I ignored her. Months later, at the lab job, I was casually discussing FB with a co-worker and she actually knew this woman – at least in cyberspace. Apparently, she’s this Pat Benatar groupee and if someone “likes” Pat Benatar, somehow she catches wind of it and sends a friend request. She is now my “friend”.

I’ve also been friended by people who obviously carnivorous plant hobbyists, but I haven’t a clue as to they are otherwise. I think they’ve combed through the friend lists of others and send requests to me. At least I know where they’re coming from.

One time I was friended by a guy who claimed to be a pastor from India. So I asked him how he found me. He asserted that he is my Christian brother. I asked him how he found me. He didn’t answer me. Ignore!
Here are some of my oddest experiences on FB:

There have been at least three 20-ish girls that have friended me, with no message, and when I checked out their profiles, all I can conclude is that their intentions were probably less than honorable. They seem to collect guys.

Then there's 20-something female co-workers that are my friend for awhile but when they leave the company they defriend me. Some just quietly defriend me later on, without any discernible reason.

There have also been a few women that have friended me and a bazillion others, whether they knew us or not. I believe that they are lonely women, based upon listing themselves as single and interested in men. One women friended just about everybody from our graduating class and it appears to be motivated by promoting her restaurant. She doesn’t answer messages. Another woman from school promotes her boss, who is a doctor.

One guy friended me, claiming he’s seen my profile on TerraForums. He is listed as being from Portugal but I seriously doubt he’s really on the discussion forums. This was right after my Email account was hacked. So I’m just a bit suspicious.

A Christian friend of mine defriended me recently. He appears to be gay, based upon his topics of discussion. I made one comment on top of his comment about being uncomfortable with some of the things the Bible espouses. He asked me to explain myself to him and I was told him of a CP hobbyist who is a lesbian and used to be a Christian, but now is anti-Christian. I apologized for hurting his feelings. Nevertheless, he defriended me.

Then there's the guy who wrote me a message, stating that he would block me if I posted more than one song per day. I promptly posted 3. I should have done 10! I guess the guy never heard of, 'page down'.

2 women unfriended me because I posted Youtube videos on their posts. It wasn't that I posted bad videos. It was because I just posted videos and they didn't like that. It would have been nice if they had told me that they didn't like that, instead of quietly ditching me without me knowing why. I had to message them and ask why.

Lastly, if I had a dollar for every person who keeps me in "Facebook limbo", friending others instead of me...

In conclusion, humans drive me nuts, no matter what venue, but like the expression goes, I'm not "throwing the baby out with the bathwater".

me no have um facebook, but can see its usefulness....

tf and googletalk pretty much fill my need...
back in the day we used tribal voice's "PowWow" (early chat room program that has spoke your text, pretty cool) and mplayer.

now get off my lawn you kids :p

I dont see how someone can be a member of an on-line community like this (this very carnivorous plants forum) but then
put down people for being on facebook..that is lame..because they are the same thing!

At first I was "against" facebook too..didnt see any need for it..
but my sister was using it, and suggested I join..so I did, just to check it out.
now, I like it! I check in probably 2 or 3 times a week, for about 5 minutes at a time..
FAR less of a waste of time than many other places on the internet!

One thing I am really liking, is the community groups that form on facebook..based around different topics and areas of interest.
(pretty much exactly the same as this forum)
But they wouldnt exist if not for facebook..
an example:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/267491419933447/

Its a discussion group for my hometown..Waverly NY and Sayre and Athens PA.
(yes, one community in two states! ;) it happens)
That group is a blast..
people post all kinds of cool things from the Valley, and I have been an active member of one
particular discussion, (what to do with an old depertment store) which has led to strong
community support for restoring an old town park..I made a webpage about it:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/sayrepark/index.html

That whole thing lives and breathes only because of Facebook..
its a great format for groups like that..

as for the "regular" facebook account, like anything else, you can get in as far,
or as little, as you like..yes, there can be many "superficial" friends on facebook..
but for me, they are mostly highschool friends that I wouldnt be friends with *at all*
if not for Facebook..So we are superficial friends on facebook, or "not at all" friends if not for facebook..Sometimes its just interesting to see what people are up to..And for more "real" friends, its just another way to communicate..no different than email really, except its actually quite a bit more convenient! So, facebook has its place..Do with it what you like..or not.

And Cthulhu, yeah, you are really out of line..you might want to tone it down..
and the worst part is, you are talking about something you don't even use or understand..
which makes you totally look like a clueless hypocrite..
I dont care in the least about Pro football..bores me to tears, haven't watched a game on TV in my life..
So should I go on a NFL discussion forum and tell all the guys there that I think they are wasting their time
with football? and that they should "get a life"...yeah, they would respect that about as much as
we are respecting your opinion right now..

Its not a problem with the opinion "I dont care about facebook and I dont want to use it"..no problem with that at all.
Its the way you belittle and insult the rest of us that do choose to use it..not cool.

Scot

I can see the benefits to FB and I had an account/profile. Recently I deleted it and I feel great about it! A few family members were upset, understandably so, but now they can call me instead. The whole experience was very liberating! :nana:

Also I would like to echo the dis-dain a few others have expressed for the "free" games. The barage of requests are rediculous and unnecessary, but more importantly to me, I have watched people close to me spend hundreds of dollars that they do not have on these "free" games. Somebody please burn down Farmville!

Last edited:
Back