What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For all the knitters out there

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
In the chat, I brought up a concept I'm currently digesting for a sweater using silk blend yarns and butterfly colors, and I was asked to post it in here. Here it is!

I want to make the background earth tones, like this shawl I just nearly finished (ran out of yarn):

3DB79113-4935-40F0-A918-84E59697E26C-631-00000153A2B09688.jpg

I would get more of the same silk blend yarn as the blue, and put a giant birdwing butterfly on the back, maybe a golden BW on on the front, and the leaf pattern from a Rajah Brookes BW down the sleeves. I'm actually a little undecided what I want on the back. If I'm feeling particularly masochistic when I start charting it, I'll pick the Cairns. Lovely little flutterbug. :awesome:

Here's a REALLY cheesy concept drawing:

Untitled-2.jpg

All pictures are for reference only, and are property of their respective owners.

One of these for the back, I think:

Golden BW (my second favorite)

Male_Golden_Birdwing_butterfly.jpg

I'm not sure, maybe a Goliath

image-04-small.jpg

Cairns (my favorite)

cairnsbirdwing.jpg

For the front, either an across-the-chest deal or a pocket ornament size:

Cairns top

157-green_birdwing_butterfly.jpg

Rajah Brooks, for the leafy pattern down the sleeves:

Male-Rajah-BrookesBW.jpg

Last edited:
Cool pics! Ever heard of these folks? Knitta please. Look em' up. Pretty curious. Also if bored, the Cacophany Society. Another unusual bunch.

Sounds like fun. I'm on Ravelry, and those guys and ladies are a hoot.

Looks like a challenging project! How are you planning on doing the colorwork? I'd guess you'd need to do a combination of intarsia and stranding.
(Also a knitter and on Ravelry with the same screenname. Love that site)

Same screenname for me, too.

Yeah, I was figuring I'd intarsia when I had to, and strand when I could get away with it. It won't be the most complicated, that would be a double-knit intarsia piece with a different pattern on each side, but it certainly would be a looong project. Once I get it all sorted out and the yarn bought you'll find it on my projects page. For now, simple stuff.

Yanno, I might just make it simple, leave the sleeves alone, and put the Cairn's top on the front, and the same flutterby's underside on the back. That would be very pretty, too.

But the sleeves...... I like the leaves.

Back