What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orthene

After discovering that my N. sibuyanensis x burkeii has thripes I spent a couple of hours to see what others use to get rid of them and only came up with one fairly consistant answer, to use a systemic insecticide. I saw orthene mentioned most so my plan is to apply it to all of the Neps according to the instructions on the can. Is this eBay auction what I should use, if not point me to the correct one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/271013754242?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I unpotted the four plants I found thripes on and dipped and sloshed the entire plants in a dish soap and warm water solution and after waiting a few minutes rinced thoroughly before repotting into fresh medium. The source of the infection, sibuyanensis, has two growth nodes on the stem below ground so I removed the entire plant above that point and discarded it. The foliage was so badly damaged that the plant no doubt was attempting to create offshoots, pretty neat how nature works it's magic.

Thanks for responding, is that a systemic? I am using my old favorite, soapy water to kill the ones cruising and a systemic to get the ones migrating and hatching. I think three or four follow-up applications of orthene should do the trick along with regular doses of filthy language. I have been examining the undersides of the leaves on all the plants including the infected ones several times a day and have only seen one thripe which I squished. The mass infestation was pretty much on the sibuyanensis x burkeii so by cutting away the foliage and tossing it out I got rid of the lion's share of adults.
Here is a pic of it before being decapitated:
381745_557634580928886_1727475402_n.jpg

yeah, it's a systemic. toxicity lasts for two weeks according to the package. i never needed more than 2 treatments. At this point you could probably just wait a week and see if any thrips make themselves known. If they do, orthene again. Otherwise, systemics wipe out thrips fast, so you should be good, or close to it.

Acephate is the active ingredient (AI) in Orthene so anything with that AI is going to be effective. Another possibility if systemics concern you (some people have a fear of them) is Sevin (AI - Carbaryl ) but will need to be re-applied as new eggs hatch.

Thanks for the replies, my email notifications was off so I changed that and should be alerted when someone responds.
I dropped into my local nursery and picked up a systemic insecticide, it doesn't say anything about orthene but does list all plant biting insects. Orthene was just a name to me anyway so I am checking this one out, the tropical greenhouse guy said that it is what they use in there own greenhouses. I am about five days in after spraying and there are no noticeable ill effects to the plants. After I do the followup application I will report back here with the name and results.
Thanks again!

I used to use Acephate on all my Sarrs, VFTs, and succulents. I had amazing results, especially at killing off mealy bugs. I used it as a soil drench too.
It's no longer available for sale here in CA, so I have switched to Imadaloprid (another systemic). I haven't used it long enough to compare results.

CA banned Acephate? It always fascinates me reading various labels (chemicals and appliances). Is there anything that is not "known to cause cancer in the state of California"? LOL

Well, to be fair, acephate is really, really toxic and hazardous to handle, so I don't mind that it is getting banned from household pesticide usage.

Organo-phosphate pesticides like Acephate have been banned in Canada, the UK and most of the EU long before they were banned in California (an New York I might add). Acephate has been linked to the horrible mutations and decline of frogs in the US.

It is no longer manufactured by Ortho so you'll find it under a different brand name now.

Back