What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plant of the Month December 2012

Vote for the top 3 best!

• lil hokie - S. leucophylla x purpurpea

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • amphirion - H. idk

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Devon - Drosera x [x tokaiensis x "Lantau Island"]

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • cp777 - S. flava var. flava

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • jimscott - B. liniflora

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crissytal - P. rotundiflora

• Wire Man - D. cistiflora 'Red'

• mass - D. capensis "Bain's Rocket"

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • kulamauiman - Drosera rupicola

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Av8tor1 - H. Butchenisis

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Not a Number - Drosera glabripes

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Heli - H. folliculata (Murosipan)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thez_yo

instigator
1. Only ONE (1) Plant per member may be entered in any particular month. This means one Nep vine, one Sarr Rhizome, one pygmy dew etc.
2. All pictures must be taken in the month of entry into the contest.
3. All entries must be clearly identified.
4. Entries are restricted to cultivated plants.
5. Contestants may post as many times and as many pictures of their entry as they like until contest closing on 12/31/12 (new year's!)
6. Sequential pictures showing opening of a pitcher, unfurling of a leaf etc. are fine as long as all pictures are taken within the month of the contest.
7. If, for some reason, a single pitcher/plant/whatnot cannot be isolated and a group shot is necessary, then the particular pitcher/plant/whatnot entered must be clearly identified in your post.
8. Plant must have been grown by owner at least six months prior to photo, or sprouted from seed by the owner.
9. I didn't like this rule. You can keep entering the same thing month after month and if people still like it without getting sick of it, so be it.
10. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as EST.
11. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on 01/01/13, closing 01/05/13 and using this forum in this thread! Voting will appear at the top of the thread at the close of the contest entries.

** Please remember to clearly identify your entry!!**

Contest will be closed on December 31st 2012 at 5:00PM EST

Good Luck!

I figured I would go ahead and give this another shot. It has been in the low 70s around here lately which is madness but I was able to snap some very quick pictures today.

I was torn between two pitchers but I am going with the S. leucophylla x purpurpea I received on May 3rd, 2012.

CCPSandDecPlants299.jpg

CCPSandDecPlants304.jpg

CCPSandDecPlants337.jpg

CCPSandDecPlants302.jpg

CCPSandDecPlants300.jpg

I got a little "pitcher happy" haha. Sorry for my bad joke!

submitting my Heliamphora idontknowwhatitisanymorensis aka Heliamphora heterodoxa aka Heliamphora heterodoxa x ionasii

will be replacing this photo once the 2nd pitcher matures
8242658616_ca647df277_o.png

Drosera x [x tokaiensis x "Lantau Island"]

8245104761_39781d7998_c.jpg

8245102439_9d7f8a3c57_c.jpg

My plant.

S. flava var. flava

IMG_5101.jpg

IMG_5102.jpg

IMG_5104.jpg

Whoa you guys are blowing me out of the water this month :0o:

Hey here's a random idea - you guys wanna take the plant of the months and make that the calendar next year? I guess we'd have to have resolution requirements and specify exactly which picture of each plant, huh..

008-15.jpg
B. liniflora

P. rotundiflora, the largest one in the bunch :).

rotundiflora.jpg

Lovely plants everyone! Tough month already.

Zu, I like that idea. A lot of details would have to be worked out somehow though.

Blast! I was hoping to be the only one that entered so I could win by default hahaha.

We could have top three in a collage type set up for each month. The winner could be larger and the other two the same size, to create a most interesting layout (well in my opinion at least).

im all down for calendar entries being selected from POTMs but they'd need to be in landscape format. some plants arent photogenic in landscape settings....

Yeah... it was just a thought. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized it would be a logistical nightmare... but if we started out from Jan next year with a 'it has to be landscape at least YYYYresolution and :blahblah9xm:' then it miiiiight work out. But I'm not sure we want to take it in that direction?

I have a feeling that these competitions will get tougher and tougher as the years go by....

And would in-situ or plants from botanical gardens or other collections be allowed?

It might alienate those who are proud of their plants/pics but lack the equipment/knowledge needed for high res images...

big diff from taking a nice point and shoot POTM 640x480 or 800x600...

And would in-situ or plants from botanical gardens or other collections be allowed?

It might alienate those who are proud of their plants/pics but lack the equipment/knowledge needed for high res images...

Ah, those right there are the perfect exact reasons why I got a bad feeling about the proposition. I guess it is a bad idea after all.

But now that y'alls are here... pony up with the plant pics :p

My point and shoot can take some rather nice pictures but its doubtful that they would be in the calander or even win this contest especially with the more tanleted photographers with better equipment that appear to be all over this forum with their snazzy pictures.

sweet stuff Graham! i think i rushed my heat stratification. not expecting anything this year probably....

Back