What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are these really carnivorous?

Even if flowerstalks of stelidium are capable of digesting insects, I still do not consider it carnivorous--because it should be the leaves of the plant should be responsible for attraction and capture of insects. Cephalotus, dionaea, drosera, sarracenia, heliamphora, darlingtonia, pinguicula, drosophyllun, utricularia, Byblis, and to some extent, roridula and brochinnia, have all modified their LEAVES to capture prey. Flowerstalks are not leaves, and not the main constituent of a plant. Therefore, eh....

I'll leave my thoughts at that.

I don't see why what part of the plant captures insects is relevant. The point is, THE PLANT captures and digests insects

Say, has anyone used their finger to activate the flower? It looks like it would hurt:grin:
i had the pleasure of watching a wandering fly visit several flowers on my stylidium debile, and it triggered more than one pollen shot. i couldnt get my camera out in time before it took off, likely in search of a plant that didnt attack it ;] but it was very neat to watch indeed. and it had a much better firing rate than when i attempt to stimulate the reaction myself

Back