What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thermo-Electric Cooling - High Altitude

I have read quite a bit on line about other people's ideas and experiences and have decided to go with a thermo-electric set-up for now on my small five gallon aquarium and later after they are bigger with the refrigeration system out of my old dorm style fridge in a larger set-up. First I am utilizing the Midwest winter and cool temps by placing all three Neps into the five gallon aquarium with wet sphagnum and a lid into a cool dark room overnight and then returning them to the greenhouse rack each morning. In the spring when the AC comes on I will attempt to move them to my room and see how that works. I doubt the temps will be cool enough to satisfy the plants without freezing me out and can always fall back to the thermo-electric idea. I bought a Vector Travel Cooler to get an idea of the cooling efficiency of these units but the peltier is fastened directly to the aluminum cooler liner and only provides radiant cooling. I just bought a Coleman cooler of the same size because it has everything contained in the lid and also uses a heat sink and blower to move the cool air, a better way to transfer the cold throughout the habitat. The lid could be removed and used as a portable cooling system on any size aquarium within reason. My dorm fridge uses a square aluminum box inside the fridge fed by the compressor to freeze a ice cube tray and refrigerate the rest of the fridge. The box could easily be mounted inside a habitat with a four or five inch fan to draw air in and force it across the cooling surface. A small ultrasonic humidifier or fog maker could be added to keep the humidity level up and incorporating a controller to monitor the humidity and temp. I have seen some exotic set-ups but want to try to keep it simple and inexpensive so other cheapskates like me can afford the hobby. I have a habit of documenting nearly everything I do with pictures and this will be no exception. All operations from dismantling the dorm fridge to final habitat will be captured.

Back