What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a wee bit o' snow last night ...

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
It's beginning to look a lot like Christ-mas, eeeeeverywhere you goooo...

Took these pics at around 7:30am today. For those unfamiliar with winter in the 'northern lands', at that time of day everything really does have this blueish tint. Had considered waiting until things brightened up, but the winds were picking up and I didn't know if the snow would stay stuck to the trees as that occurred.

Before the storm arrived, there was no snow whatsoever on the ground.

IMG_9212_zps0cf7d07b.jpg

Btw, those deciduous trees in the background are around 60-70ft tall (maybe more).

IMG_9210_zps0b6f9293.jpg

IMG_9204_zpsd64b37d4.jpg

The branches of the prostrate shrub in the background were originally in the vertical position before the storm. It is a 7-8ft tall dogwood.

IMG_9202_zps83dd24fc.jpg

IMG_9200_zps6137b145.jpg

IMG_9199_zps49b53561.jpg

have-you-been-good-smiley-emoticon_zpsc4755ad8.gif

I like it! Could you send some out to the Pacific NW, please?

I like it! Could you send some out to the Pacific NW, please?

i though the storm system started out in the PNW? I think I have seen pics of snow in southern oregon...

Love the pics, beautiful snow landscape.

i though the storm system started out in the PNW? I think I have seen pics of snow in southern oregon...

We only got a light dusting in some places around the Portland Metro area, it was elevations above 1000 feet that got the real stuff.

Beautiful shots! Here is a shot I snapped in Mendocino County, CA while I was driving home for the holidays (snow is rare in this area, I was excited).

We got your snow today.

Cool pictures! :)
(the pine trees are actually 30 to 40 feet tall, not 60 to 70! ;)
(look at the 4-foot tall fence in the background, and interpolate upwards)

Scot

Btw, those deciduous trees in the background are around 60-70ft tall (maybe more).

(the pine trees are actually 30 to 40 feet tall, not 60 to 70! ;)
(look at the 4-foot tall fence in the background, and interpolate upwards)
Scot

Pines aren't deciduous, Scot (at least the vast majority aren't) ... and the deciduous trees (hardwoods ... mainly maple) were the ones I was referring to. ;) Yes, you are quite correct about the pines -- they are "only" about 30-40ft tall (and would be taller if the power company had not "topped" them on several occasions over the years).

@Mark: Sorry dude, the PO has issues with "liquids" being sent in the mail -- and that's the state it would be in by the time it got to you. :D

@Natalie: Those trees look nicely decked out for the holidays. Don't imagine it will be likely to last though will it?

@Jim: So how much did you wind up getting?

Glad ya liked the pix, folks.

fireplace-smiley-emoticon_zpsb9e1dae8.gif

Takes me back to my photo lab days, when I'd get tons of orders with snow pictures in them. Ahhh, that was a good job, vacation by proxy. (Disclaimer: All the photo orders were reviewed by person for color, etc, it was posted policy. The only pictures I REALLY looked at were from friend, and they knew that I'd enjoy what they brought in.)

Enjoy the snow!

Evidently it snowed for 2 minutes here yesterday...I missed it. But it was super windy!!
Those trees look really cool, I want one.

Nice photos but PLEASE keep it out there and AWAY from N.Y.!

Back