What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experiment Question

Hello!

So I'm doing an independent research project regarding how the amount of sundew leaf movement is effected by different concentrations of chitin in a solution. I'm taking pictures of tested leaves and finding the angle at which the leaf blade curled as a reaction. I ran the first test today, and placed on the leaves drops of 10% solution (this is by mass, it's completely saturated). The leaves are already almost completely curled over, 180 degrees. It's been about an hour and half, and originally I was going to wait six hours. Do think I should have every solution run for two hours? I don't know if this will even be enough time for the lower concentrations (down to a 0.1% solution).

Thanks,
Drew

whatever you do, be consistant... if you shorten the time limit then some trials dont react as fast?

That's what I'm worried about. I'm considering just taking measurements at both intervals, and then going out of order and testing the weakest concentration next to see what works. I mean, it will certainly help my hypothesis if the highest concentration is curled to the maximum. However, I don't know if in six hours all of them will do that. And as the reverse it's not good if nothing happens in two hours for the lowest concentrations. Maybe I just take the median 4 hours?

i think it's perfectly fine to have a longer interval for the weaker solutions and a shorter interval for stronger solutions. The picture of a curled leaf isn't the "results" of your experiment, the degree of leaf curl, speed of movement, and reaction time are; make sure you are collecting data on these types of variables. if a strong solution causes the maximum result in a very short time and a weak solution never gives the same result those are great observations that can yield valid conclusions about plant behavior. i would say to make sure you have enough intermediate solutions to be able to show leaf response to varying gradients of chitin conc. and a control with no chitin.

Back