What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Few TC Questions

dionae

sarracenia lover
I was curious about mixing 2 rooting hormones together in the media. For example, can i mix IBA and NAA?

Activated charcoal-why/when is it used? Does the origin of the charcoal matter(wood, coconut husks, etc.)?

Has anyone used any other auxins or cytokinins than the regular kinetin, BAP, NAA, IBA?

Thanks!

Some custom medias contain a variety of both auxins and cytokinins; and the addition of coconut water muddies that issue even further, since it already contains a variety of plant growth regulators (in addition to sugars, sugar alcohols, amino acids, purines, vitamins, etc). Also, both auxins and cytokinins, depending upon their concentration, type and plant species involved, can either serve to promote or inhibit, to some degree, one another.

Activated charcoal (use only a "pharmaceutical" or TC-grade) is solely from wood and is very absorptive of toxic substances in media -- such as phenols exuded from explants; and other compounds, for example, 5- hydroxymethyl-furfural (HMF), a product derived from sucrose through autoclaving media under acidic conditions; and to remove fatty acids from bacteriological cultures. The drawback is that it also removes promotory substances, especially auxins; charcoal also contains a small amount of PGRs; and it can raise the pH of media by .75-1.0. It is also used to minimize or exclude light from cultures to promote various dark-related functions, such as rhizogenesis (root formation), etc.

I have also used all manner of plant growth regulators and additives, including auxins, cytokinins, ethylene, gibberellins, phenols, polyamines, steroids; organic (citric, lactate, malic, et al) and abscisic acids, to name a few . . .

Thank you very much david! That really helps.

Another question though. Why would I only use pharm/TC grade charcoal? Seems its made from the exact same thing as edible AC. Thanks!

Thank you very much david! That really helps.

Another question though. Why would I only use pharm/TC grade charcoal? Seems its made from the exact same thing as edible AC. Thanks!

Activated charcoal is prepared through the controlled carbonization of wood in either steam or air; and some lesser charcoal products may yet contain inhibitory compounds and byproducts. Those produced for the scientific market are a far more consistent grade than crap from some health food store . . .

Last edited:
Thanks again!

Back