What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hydroton out of biz now "PlantIt"

I just got back from the hydroponics shop to get some net baskets for re-potting and I took a stroll through the rest of the shop. There was a sign stating that German company who made the Hydroton baked clay balls used for hydroponics and semi-hydro orchid culture has gone out of business due to the clay mine being used up. Now the new stuff is called "PlantIt". It's the same price per bag & same size clay balls but is more brown than orange in color.

Just thought I'd post incase anyone is looking for Hydroton, you'll need to look out for the new name now.

:)

so the rumor I have heard is true....good thing I have a couple of 50 gal. drums of hydroton!

Yeah I saw in the garage today that I still have one big 55 liter king sized pillow sack of old Hydroton which is unopened yet.

The new "PlantIt" stuff looks fine, just not orange, more natural earthy colored dark brown. I've always been curious if the orange outside on the old Hydroton was some kind of Laterite (iron rich) top coating since it's dark inside if you smash a piece of it with a hammer or find broken bits in the bottom of a sack.

Surprising. Hopefully the replacement is as good as the old.

Hydroton is a a brand name for LECA (Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate), for which there are quite a few brands. Be careful that it is designed for hydroponics though, as LECA is also used in the construction industry so could contain higher mineral levels. Another alternative, which I haven't personally tried, is Growstone which is manufactured from recycled glass in the USA.

Hydroton is a a brand name for LECA (Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate), for which there are quite a few brands. Be careful that it is designed for hydroponics though, as LECA is also used in the construction industry so could contain higher mineral levels. Another alternative, which I haven't personally tried, is Growstone which is manufactured from recycled glass in the USA.

Growstone looks promising. I'll have to order a bag.

Last edited:
Just picked up a bag of growstone today. Love it so far. About to put it through the paces with a few dews.

Went to a plant swap yesterday, a gal there was giving away quart bags of crushed and tumbled glass from wine bottles. I often use glass marbles and beads or whatever in aquatic plant soil mixes.

Went to a plant swap yesterday, a gal there was giving away quart bags of crushed and tumbled glass from wine bottles. I often use glass marbles and beads or whatever in aquatic plant soil mixes.
Some of the DIY (hardware) stores in the UK sell crushed glass as a building aggregate. The only issue I have found with it, which might not be a problem, is it contains plastic bits. I put it in a bucket of water, where the plastic floats to the top and can be skimmed off.

Back