What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mold/fungal growth in Sphagnum

This mold/fungus has grown in all the of sphagnum moss in my tank, it started in the moss surrounding the plants and now is in the moss in the plant pots. It seems to be killing the moss. Has anyone seen this kind of thing before? Can it be treated or must all the moss be replaced and plants re-potted? Most importantly will it hurt my plants? (It has been there about 4/5 days and they are unharmed) Thanks for any advice, here are some pictures:

DSCF0087.jpg

DSCF0088.jpg

DSCF0089.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg

I've seen this in my sphagnum too, but it has always cured itself within a couple days. This is a really good question. :scratch:

I've seen this under very thick mounds of live sphagnum in my rack and occasionally in my terrarium, but it has never been a problem. At one point I was under the impression it was just a build-up of trichoderma that I apply to the soil from time to time, but I don't actually know what that looks like, so it could be just the usual "humidity fungus." It's a sign that you may need to alter your conditions, be it more airflow, light, less humidity, whatever. I would take out the affected sphagnum and replace it, or if you really want to keep it, spray it with a sulfur-based fungicide. Wouldn't hurt to flush the pot out with low tds water, too.

Thanks for the advice! I have removed all the infected Sphag from the tank and the plant pots. I'm still tinkering with the timings on the automatic misting system I recently bought so it's safe to assume that it was due to a too wet and humid enviroment. I'm also going to make regular use of the fans that I previously only used in the hotter months.

This is usually a sign of insufficient air flow/air exchange; something you should consider remedying.

I was under the impression it was just a build-up of trichoderma that I apply to the soil from time to time, but I don't actually know what that looks like
Trich fungus is green. The green mold on bread...the green mold on old coffee grounds...thats sometimes trichoderma. I've read that it smells like coconuts.

Trichoderma is only green in the later stages. It has hyphae too. I posted some pictures of it on my thread. However, the hyphae from the Trichoderma Atroviride only appeared when I had added way too much and only when there was 100% humidity. When you grow the strain on PDA plates, it is initially white colored and then, ~ 48 hrs at 30C, the green appears. In liquid culture it is always white.

Thanks, pokie!

Back