What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you guys think of the Mosser Lee brand lfs?

I've been using this stuff, and I have to say that it is pretty sucky. However, it does do its job, but it gets irritating when you have to filter out sticks and leaves. This brand also isn't sterile, so you should microwave it or somehow sterilize it before using it. It is also very hard to rehydrate it sometimes:-O (It has itty bitty mites and tiny fungus sometimes:-( ) It is one of the cheapest lfs brands there are though, but sticks and leaves probably make its value...

I use it as a mix amendment for my neps....I consider the sticks to be "drainage material" :lol:

It's good mainly for putting in the bottom of pots to keep the rest of the media in. I do grow domestic sundews in it. I look through the bags in the store and grab the batches with the fluffiest, lightest colored stuff in it and the least amount of leaves, grass stems etc. And I'll sometimes use it for wrapping roots for shipping. I figure it will get discarded any way, why waste the expensive NZ stuff.

I use it as a mix amendment for my neps....I consider the sticks to be "drainage material"
I do that too, but I take out the "drainage material"...:rolleyes:
It's good mainly for putting in the bottom of pots to keep the rest of the media in.
I do that also, works pretty good for that purpose.:-D
And I'll sometimes use it for wrapping roots for shipping. I figure it will get discarded any way, why waste the expensive NZ stuff.
U. have a point there...

crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap, ahem . . .crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap . . .

Just go with the blonde NZ or Chilean moss if you can. Better in every way: fluffier, looks better, holds moisture better, provides aeration and drainage better, and is cleaner (less debris and less contamination, in my experience).

Mosser Lee is half way to being peat moss, which is generally decent for bog CPs because they're standing in water anyway, but not the best for Nepenthes or plants that like good drainage. But it'll do in a pinch...

It's all I can find in person and I don't have the money to buy lots of moss online yet so it's what I've been using. Aside from being filled with tons of useless crap it works okay. I can't compare to the other better types of moss tho. I have my seedlings and most of my plants in it now so we'll see how it works.

I think it smells good when it's brand new and freshly wetted :3

It's not the greatest stuff, but it certainly has its purpose. Like others had mentioned, I like to use it in the bottom of pots for drainage, as well as wrapping up root balls for shipping. Also good for stratifying seeds; grind it up real fine and use on the surface. No point in using the good stuff if your gonna powderize it.

It's all I can find in person and I don't have the money to buy lots of moss online yet so it's what I've been using.
Aside from being filled with tons of useless crap it works okay. I can't compare to the other better types of moss tho.

Looks for orchids vendors (or an orchid show) in your area, Rox. They will very likely have the better sphag. You might also hit a reptile show. I have seen moss available at the shows I attend.

crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap, ahem . . .crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrap . . .

LOL! This is one of those things where one gets what one pays for. For a dollar more, I would buy a bag of what is being sold as orchid moss.

Roxor, JMN, go to Lowes. They have Better Gro LFS that's actually CHEAPER than the ML crap.

I'll keep those places in mind when I go to repot next time thanks :3

I just bought a bag of better gro. It's $1 more than moser but a lot cleaner...

I'd only use ML for a bottom layer to keep the media from slumping. I grow my own so I know that it's good quality.

Back