What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what the crap??? NOOO! MY SEEDLINGS!!!!!!

sooo...this morning, i went into the room i keep aome of my plants in, to turn on their light, just like every morning. i turn on the light, and look at the pots. (i have three pots under this light, one with a little cape sundew(which i thought was dead, but apparently the roots were still alive, and now it has been making a comeback,, and growing nicely) and a few baby pygmies that im growing from gemmae, another pot that i sowwed some sarr seed in (i dont know if they will ever germinate, its been awhile since i planted them.) and this one other one that had some cape sundew seedlings in, and was starting to grow a little bit of fuzzy moss in one corner. i already had a cape sundew and all, but i was looking forward to growing some from seed myself. i look at their pots, an the soil is all full of little holes, all the seedlings are gone and their are fungus gnat larvae all over!!!!!

:ohno:

Last edited:
at least it is a species that will never be hard to get more seed of lol

Ironically, my most successful solution for getting rid of fungus gnats is..cape sundews! ;)
the adult plants do a great job of eating them up and (eventually) wiping out the gnat colony..
but cape sundew seeds and seedlings, not so much.
sorry..

I would just throw out those pots..(or at least the media)
not much else you can do. :(

Scot

yup, i took the pot out into the garage as soon as i saw this, ill deal with it later... get rid of the media, clean the pots out and stuff.

Last edited:
Treatment with Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (BTi) will get rid of the larvae. It takes a few weeks and you should treat the media long enough to cover the entire life cycle of fungus gnats. There can be potentially 4 generations in your media (eggs, larvae, pupae and adults). BTi will not harm your plants.

It is commonly available as Mosquito Dunks. Just break off a small chunk and put it in water tray. Or put a bit in a container of water overnight and water with the treated solution.

yeah, i have some of those for my container pond. ill put a piece in the media to make sure there gone

Back