What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gnats :headwall:

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
So in my pygmy drosera pots, there are large cultures of gnats growing. They started to hatch out today and there are a ton now. Not quite sure how to treat this. I guess I kept them too wet or something. What should I do about this? I put a bunch of drosera around the area to catch all that I could, but they aren't exactly that effective... :blush:

I think it would be wasting potting medium if I took them all out of their pots and repotted them, and it might be bad for the pygmies. What should I do about this? ???

i worked in a genetic lab and when the stupid students would let the fruit flies out we would make traps by cutting th top or a bottle off and place something sweet in the bottom and put a funnel on top. they fly in and cant get out, maybe you could use something along the same lines

i worked in a genetic lab and when the stupid students would let the fruit flies out we would make traps by cutting th top or a bottle off and place something sweet in the bottom and put a funnel on top. they fly in and cant get out, maybe you could use something along the same lines

So basically a Nepenthes...? :lol:

Are there like Drosera-safe insecticides? On the topic of fruit flies, I read that you could put vinegar in a cup and put a bit of dish washing detergent to break surface tension and it will catch fruit flies. Will that work for gnats?

They may or may not be fungus gnats. I have noticed two different types of gnats. Some small black ones with clear wings, and some larger brown ones with big brown wings, but still really small.

Bti Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis

Bacillus thuringiensis serovar israelensis (Bti) is a group of bacteria used as biological control agents for larvae stages of certain Dipterans. Bti produces toxins which are effective in killing various species of mosquitoes, fungus gnats, and blackflies, while having almost no effect on other organisms. Indeed this is one of the major advantages of B. thuringiensis products in general is that they are thought to affect few non-target species.

It kills the larvae without harming the plants. Search the forum for the many posts I've made on the use of this. Search on "Mosquito Dunks".

OSH.

Also try Caterpillar Killer, another BT product. It's a different strain, but I found that large doses can still kill skeeters.

I conquer gnats with my Pinguicula primuliflora. Sadly, not all gnats go to them, but some are drawn like iron filings to a magnet.

It has to be apple cider vinegar in order for that trick to work. Use a low odor dish soap- just a few drops and stir. Make sure you use a smaller dich and that is full nearly to the top. A little bit won't work. The gnats will be attracted to the rotting smell. You'll catch quite a few pretty quick.

Why wouldn't neem oil work to kill the colonies? Also, if you have Seven dust, it wont harm your sundew.

Back