What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TC calendulas?

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
I have a calendula, a daisy-esque annual, that decided to do things it's own way. I just GOTTA get a picture some time. Normally with any rayed flower it blooms, and then the false petals fall off and the little myriad flowers in the center gradually become seeds. Not this one. This plant starts with a bundle of little green things in the middle of the center "eye" when the flower opens. As it blooms, the green things get bigger, and by the time the false petals have browned and fallen away the green things have developed into ... dun dun duuuuuuuunnnnnn! ... Mini flowers. This plant has done it 100% so far, a dozen flowers. Told ya I needed pictures.

This is different, and I'd like to try to preserve this line, somehow. Since its not making seeds, how about tissue culture? I don't see successful cuttings taking normally, not calendulas, but perhaps in vitro?

The table is yours. What can I do to preserve the unique genetic line of this plant?

Here is a terrible iPhone shot. Poorly lit, sleepy flowers, but it shows a normal flower next to the funky ones I'm getting on the one plant. It's just too cool!

It was growing outside in a not-too-great spot, and was starting to show water stress, so I carefully dug it up and potted it, so that I can take care if it, and take it with me when I move.

738E7F83-E789-4118-BC80-BBDBF0F04785-912-000001793F5A3592_zps1a51303c.jpg

Last edited:
That is way too cool. Awesome plant Lil!

I was hoping that the little ones would keep the chain going, but so far no luck.

What parts are required to clone a plant? Seeds are obviously not available. ;)

Back